How to Solve a Limit Question with an Infinite - Infinite Equation

• Thread starter mad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an infinite limit and the use of a logarithmic function. After several attempts, the answer was found to be unbounded, either as x^2 or ln(x^2 -1). Different techniques were suggested, but the general consensus was that the limit should be infinity.
mad
EDITED THE EQUATION

Hello all,

I have this problem I can't solve.. it is a infinite - infinite. I tried it around 5 times and can't find the correct answer (infinite). I'm pretty sure I have to put in evidence x^2 and use a limit law but I can't find the answer.. can someone help me for this problem:

lim x -> +inf. [tex] x - \ln(x^2-1) [/tex]

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The limit evaluates to -0.5? How do you know this?

--J

Justin Lazear said:
The limit evaluates to -0.5? How do you know this?

--J
That's the answer in the book =)

Sorry, it was x - (lnx^2-1)

Last edited:
x^2 increases much faster than ln(x^2 -1). The limit should be unbounded.

The technique I'd use to evaluate it would be to write x^2 as [itex]\ln{\left(e^{x^2}\right)}[/tex] and then combine the logs. This approach gives a result of infinity, as well.

--J

Justin Lazear said:
x^2 increases much faster than ln(x^2 -1). The limit should be unbounded.

The technique I'd use to evaluate it would be to write x^2 as [itex]\ln{\left(e^{x^2}\right)}[/tex] and then combine the logs. This approach gives a result of infinity, as well.

--J
I edited the equation. It was a typo.. sorry

[tex]x - \left(\ln{x^2}\right) - 1[/tex]
or
[tex]x - \ln{(x^2 -1)}[/tex]
?

Well, either way, the limit is still unbounded.

--J

Justin Lazear said:
[tex]x - (\ln{x^2 -1})[/tex]
?
This one. I will try your method. Is it the only way?

Heh, I screwed up the notation, too. I edited to give the proper two possibilities. As it was before, they said exactly the same thing!

--J

1. What is a limit question?

A limit question is a type of mathematical question that asks for the value a function approaches as the input value approaches a specific number. It is usually expressed as "lim f(x) as x approaches a."

2. How do you solve a limit question?

To solve a limit question, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or advanced calculus techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. It is important to remember to check for any discontinuities or undefined points in the function.

3. What does it mean when a limit question has no solution?

If a limit question has no solution, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input value gets closer to the given number. This could be due to a discontinuity, an undefined point, or the function approaching positive or negative infinity.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit question?

A one-sided limit question asks for the value a function approaches as the input value approaches a specific number from either the left or right side. A two-sided limit question asks for the value a function approaches as the input value approaches a specific number from both the left and right sides.

5. How are limit questions used in real-life applications?

Limit questions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict real-life situations. For example, in physics, limit questions can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object as it approaches a certain point in space. In economics, limit questions can be used to analyze market trends and predict future values.