Earth Seen from Mars - NASA JPL Image

In summary, the participants discuss the color of Mars and the possibility of seeing the Moon from the planet. They speculate that Mars may appear blue with the naked eye and that the Moon would be fainter and possibly not visible in a photograph taken by the rover Spirit. However, upon closer examination, one person believes they can see the Moon in the photo.
scott1
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/mer/images.cfm?id=1685
I thought it would look more blueish since we see Mars as red.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I wonder if it might look bluer to the naked eye. When I wear red-tint sunglasses, my eyes adjust and I can distinguish blues and other colors. But a photograph taken through my red sunglasses always keeps its red tint.

I hope I get to find out some day :)

I would have hoped you could see the Moon too - perhaps it is in alignment with Earth - Mars?

Garth

You could see the Moon from Mars with the naked eye; however, it would be several times fainter, and would not show up in the short exposure that Spirit took.

Romanus said:
You could see the Moon from Mars with the naked eye; however, it would be several times fainter, and would not show up in the short exposure that Spirit took.
That makes sense. And upon further review I think I can see the Moon in that picture. Look off to the 1 o'clock position for a much fainter streak that is parallel to the one made by Earth. The fact that no other stars are visible in the image implies that fainter objects are indeed squelched from the photo like you suggest.

1. What is the purpose of the "Earth Seen from Mars" image?

The purpose of the "Earth Seen from Mars" image is to provide a unique perspective of our planet from the viewpoint of Mars. It was taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's HiRISE camera in November 2016 and is part of NASA's ongoing exploration of Mars.

2. How far away was Mars when the image was taken?

Mars was approximately 127 million miles away from Earth when the image was taken. This distance can vary depending on the positions of the two planets in their respective orbits around the sun.

3. How long did it take for the image to reach Earth?

The image took about 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach Earth from Mars. This is because it travels at the speed of light, which takes around 8 minutes to travel the distance between the two planets.

4. What features of Earth are visible in the image?

In the image, you can see the continents and oceans of Earth, as well as some cloud cover. The image was taken during the daytime, so the sunlit side of Earth is visible.

5. How does this image help us understand Mars?

By seeing Earth from the perspective of Mars, we can gain a better understanding of the differences and similarities between the two planets. It also helps us to appreciate the unique conditions that allow life to thrive on Earth and the challenges of sustaining life on Mars.