What Current Corresponds to a 16 Ohm, 0.1 W Speaker?

In summary, the little speaker in a portable radio is labeled 16 Ohms, 0.1 W, which refers to its AC impedance at an audio frequency. To determine the current, one can use Ohm's law (V=IR) and the power equation (P=IV), taking into account that the values for voltage and current are RMS values. It is also important to note that the DC resistance of the speaker may be different from the AC impedance.
jakeowens
The little speaker in a portable radio is labeled 16 Ohm's , 0.1 W. To what current does that correspond?

I'm kind of confused where to go with this one. what i know is this, 1 watt=1volt*1amp, but where do i go from there?

Do I have to use Ohm's law somehow? V=IR.

So does VI=.1 and R=16 ohms? am i supposed to be able to solve for I from that or something?

im just confused as to where to go next with this problem. This is the first problem I've had with Watts.

Thanks for any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you know V=IR and that P=IV

then you know that P=I^2 R

Actually, it's a little more complicated than Andrew's hints. You are asking about an audio speaker, and the DC resistance is not the 16 Ohm number. Its DC resistance is likely very low, since it's just a coil of wire around a magnet.

The 16 Ohm number is the impedance at some audio frequency. I didn't know what frequency is used for the standard, so I googled the following:

16 ohm speaker impedance resistance

and got a lot of useful hits. Here is a very good tutorial on speaker impedance:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/speaker_impedance.html

From that article it looks like the DC resistance isn't super-low as I'd assumed, but it is still less than the quoted AC impedance, like the 16 Ohms of your problem. So I guess that Andrew's hints are still valid, but just keep in mind that the I and V that you are using in your calculations are RMS values, not DC or peak or peak-to-peak.

What is the concept of current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

How are current and resistance related?

Current and resistance are inversely related. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

What are some factors that affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the type of material, length of the material, cross-sectional area of the material, and temperature. Materials with higher resistivity, longer lengths, and smaller cross-sectional areas will have higher resistance. Temperature can also affect resistance, with most materials having higher resistance at higher temperatures.

How are resistors used in electronic circuits?

Resistors are used in electronic circuits to limit the flow of current, divide voltage, and control the amount of power dissipated in a circuit. They can also be used to create voltage drops and to convert electrical energy into heat.