Good Searching Advice for Engineers: Tips for Better Results

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges engineers face when using search engines to find technical information and offers tips on how to improve the success rate. The article emphasizes the importance of persistence and using an iterative approach to searches. It also suggests being specific with keywords and knowing specific sites to help narrow down the results. Overall, the conversation suggests that this article is beneficial for anyone frustrated with finding technical information through search engines.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I came across an editorial on internet searching in relation to the engineer. I think it applies very well to the entirety of PF, especially to those who may be a bit daunted when they are told to go to Google.

If you're like most of your engineering peers, you have a love-hate relationship with search engines. On the one hand, generic services like Google and Yahoo hold out the promise of fast access to free technical information. On the other, though, these sites rarely serve up the information you really need — at least not without a fight...

According to Kmetz, one of the biggest mistakes engineers make when searching for technical information is that they give up too soon. "You have to be persistent," he advises. And persistence means an iterative approach to searches.

The entire article is here:
http://www.designnews.com/blog/1130000113.html

I think this article is worth the read for everyone. I tend to do a fair amount of searching and have gotten to a reasonable level of success. However, I have had to try a lot of different things.

Hopefully some people who are frustrated with trying to find technical information can get a little insight in how to be more successful in their searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I definitely agree. Part of the problem is that there are so many sites with 'similar' information, but not quite right. One then has to sift through the chaffe to get the grains, or the dirt to get to the nuggets.

I try to be very specific with "keywords","and combinations" in order to narrow down as much as possible.

It also helps to know specific sites.

Thanks for the post Fred.

As an engineer, I can definitely relate to the struggle of finding accurate and relevant information online. It can be frustrating when search engines don't always deliver the results we need, but as the article suggests, persistence is key.

I completely agree with the advice to take an iterative approach to searching. This means trying different combinations of keywords, using advanced search techniques, and even exploring different search engines. It's important to not give up after just one or two attempts, as the information we need may not always be easily accessible.

I also appreciate the reminder to be specific in our searches. As engineers, we often need very specific and technical information, and using generic search terms may not always lead us to the right sources. It's important to use industry-specific terms and be as specific as possible when searching for technical information.

Overall, this article offers valuable advice for engineers and anyone else who relies on online research for their work. By being persistent, using an iterative approach, and being specific in our searches, we can improve the quality and accuracy of the information we find. Thank you for sharing this helpful resource.

What are some general tips for conducting a successful search as an engineer?

When conducting a search, it is important to be specific and use relevant keywords related to your topic. It is also helpful to use advanced search options and filters to narrow down your results. Additionally, make sure to check for any spelling errors and try different variations of your keywords if needed.

How can I improve the accuracy of my search results?

To improve the accuracy of your search results, try using quotation marks around phrases or specific keywords to find exact matches. You can also use Boolean operators such as AND, OR, and NOT to refine your search and include or exclude certain words or phrases. Additionally, using specific file types or domains in your search can also help to narrow down your results.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when searching for information as an engineer?

One common mistake to avoid is relying on a single source for information. It is important to use multiple sources to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information you find. It is also important to critically evaluate the sources you use and consider the author's credentials and potential biases.

How can I keep track of my search results and references?

One helpful tip is to use a citation management tool to organize and keep track of your references. These tools allow you to save and format your references in various citation styles and can also help with creating bibliographies and in-text citations. Additionally, you can save and organize your search results using bookmarks or folders in your web browser.

What resources are available for engineers to improve their search skills?

There are various resources available for engineers to improve their search skills, such as online tutorials, workshops, and library databases. It is also helpful to consult with a librarian for assistance with conducting effective searches and navigating through different resources. Additionally, staying updated on new search techniques and tools can also help to improve search skills.