Liquid drop contact angle: THF, mica & graphite

In summary, the conversation is about the search for an experimental value for the contact angle between tetrahydrofuran (THF) and mica and graphite substrates. The speaker has done extensive research but has not been able to find any measurements. They mention that the angle will be very small due to THF's ability to wet both substrates well. They also mention the possibility of not having any measurements due to THF evaporating quickly. Another person suggests looking into a book by Adamson for more information. The speaker plans to look into this and make an estimate for the angle.
zeta101
This is a long shot, but maybe someone will know or can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for an experimental value for the contact angle between tetrahydrofuran (THF) with both mica and graphite substrates. I've done numerous googling and also did a search on the web of knowledge to no avail. I know the angle will be very small because THF wets both of those substrates quite well.

I suspect no measurements have been made however as THF evaporates in a matter of seconds at room temperature/pressure, but even so...

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"... very small because THF wets both of those substrates quite well."

http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/631cd036ca9ca2e1a19afeb4da09e526.html

You're into "splitting hairs" over the differences between "six" and "half a dozen" here. Adamson might help you.

Thanks, I will check out the book. Indeed you are correct about splitting hairs, I'm thinking that it might be best to just state that the angle is very small, but I would like to put a upper limit on it, I may have to make an estimate somehow. I will still have a look in Adamson just in case, thanks again!

1. What is the liquid drop contact angle?

The liquid drop contact angle is the angle formed between the liquid drop and the surface it is placed on. It is a measure of the wetting properties of the liquid on the surface.

2. How is the liquid drop contact angle measured?

The liquid drop contact angle is measured by placing a drop of the liquid on the surface and then measuring the angle formed between the liquid drop and the surface using a goniometer or other specialized equipment.

3. What does THF stand for in the context of liquid drop contact angle?

THF stands for tetrahydrofuran, a commonly used solvent in scientific research. It is often used in studies of liquid drop contact angle due to its low surface tension and good wetting properties.

4. How do mica and graphite surfaces affect the contact angle of THF?

Mica and graphite surfaces have different surface energies and chemical compositions, which can affect the wetting properties of a liquid such as THF. This can lead to variations in the contact angle of THF on these surfaces.

5. What factors can influence the contact angle of a liquid on a surface?

The contact angle of a liquid on a surface can be influenced by factors such as surface roughness, surface energy, and chemical composition of the surface, as well as the properties of the liquid itself such as surface tension and viscosity.