How to identify a magnet from a metal bar

In summary, the suggested method to determine which bar is the magnet and which is the metal bar is to move one end of the magnetic bar along the metal bar. If there is always an attraction or repulsion, then the metal bar is the magnet. If there is no attraction or repulsion at the middle, then the magnetic bar is the magnet.
OAR404
I have what is hopefully a quick question. Using only an unmarked magnetic bar and an identical metal bar, suggest a way to find out which is the magnet and which is the metal bar. This is supposed to be in a room with nothing but these two materials. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the middle of the bar magnet is not "magnetized".

Zz.

Okay... so if you have the metal bar and move one end of the magnetic bar along it, there should always be an attraction/repulsion between the two. But if you do this vice versa, moving hte metal bar along the magnet, then once you get to the middle there should be no attraction/repulsion at all?

Very close! But one tiny detail is wrong.

there should always be an attraction/repulsion between the two
It's only one of those two possibilities. Which one?

1. How can I tell if a metal bar is a magnet?

One way to identify a magnet from a metal bar is by using another magnet. If the metal bar is attracted to the magnet, then it is likely a magnet as well. However, this method may not work for all types of magnets.

2. Can a metal bar be magnetized?

Yes, a metal bar can be magnetized. This can be done by rubbing it against a magnet or by placing it in a strong magnetic field. The metal bar will then have temporary or permanent magnetic properties depending on the strength of the magnet used.

3. How do I know if a metal bar is ferromagnetic?

Ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, are attracted to magnets and can be magnetized. To determine if a metal bar is ferromagnetic, you can use a magnet to see if it is attracted to the metal bar. If it is, then the metal bar is likely ferromagnetic.

4. What is the difference between a magnet and a metal bar?

A magnet is a material that produces a magnetic field and can attract certain types of metal, while a metal bar is a solid piece of metal. Not all metal bars are magnets, but some metal bars can be magnetized or have magnetic properties.

5. Can I use a compass to identify a magnet from a metal bar?

Yes, you can use a compass to identify a magnet from a metal bar. If the compass needle is attracted to the metal bar, then it is likely a magnet. However, this method may not work for all types of magnets and may not be as accurate as using another magnet.