E-field of non-conducting, nonuniform shell

In summary, the given problem is to find the electric field at different distances from a spherical shell with a volume charge distribution. Using Gauss's law, it is determined that for r<a, the electric field is zero, for a<r<b, it grows linearly, and for r>b, it is proportional to 1/r^2 where Q is the total charge in the shell. The equation for the electric field inside the shell is (1/r)-(1/r^2) due to the non-uniform charge distribution. It is also noted that the shell is non-conducting.
Pixter

Homework Statement

Right have a shell that has a volym charge distribution P=(G/r^2) and with inner radius a and outer radius b.

Now what is the e-field at r<a, a<r<b, r>b

Homework Equations

gauss's law: surfaceint[E.da]=Qenclosed/epsilon0
Qenc=volymint[PdV)

The Attempt at a Solution

Right this is what i tried.

for r<a: there is no enclosed charge so E is zero at all points.

for a<r<b:

well first E is radially outwards and normal to the surface so the gauss integral just go to
E4[pi]r^2

Qenclosed=volymint[PdV] between r and a

goes to -> volymint[(G/r^2)(4[pi]r^2)dr] -> 4[pi]G*volymint[dr] evulated at r and a

-> 4[pi]G(r-a)

and E4[pi]r^2=(4[pi]G(r-a))/epsilon0
which then goes to -> E=(G(r-a))/(epsilon0*r^2)

then for r>b:

it's the same calc as for a<r<b but we end up with E=(G(b-a))/(epsilon0*r^2)

now I'm wondering have I done something wrong and if I had to plot it on a graph where we have E/r then for the first part upto a E would be zero and for the part where r>b it would follow a 1/r^2 relation, but how do i figure out the realation for part a<r<b, my algebra seems to suck a bit.. =)

but yeah.. does this look correct?
and if so, can you help me or give me a hint hwo to work out the relation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having some difficulty reading your equation, so I would not comment on them...

For r<a, E=0..
For a<r<b, E grows linearly..
For b<r, E = Q/r^2 whereas Q = the total charge in the shell..
E is continuous at r = a and r = b..

If your solution satisfy the conditions above, your solution should be correct...

chanvincent said:
I am having some difficulty reading your equation, so I would not comment on them...

For r<a, E=0..
For a<r<b, E grows linearly..
For b<r, E = Q/r^2 whereas Q = the total charge in the shell..
E is continuous at r = a and r = b..

If your solution satisfy the conditions above, your solution should be correct...

pretty sure you are wrong.. outside the spherical shell E will be proportinal to 1/r^2 as for any other spherical charge..

but inside the shell it will be proportinal to (1/r)-(1/r^2) following my equations, becuase the shell doesn't have uniform charge..

also note the shell is non-conducting..

1. What is an E-field?

An E-field, or electric field, is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. What is a non-conducting, nonuniform shell?

A non-conducting, nonuniform shell is a type of material or object that does not allow electricity to flow through it easily (non-conducting) and has an uneven distribution of its material or charge (nonuniform). This type of shell can have varying thickness, shape, and composition, which can affect its E-field.

3. How does the E-field of a non-conducting, nonuniform shell differ from that of a conducting, uniform shell?

The E-field of a non-conducting, nonuniform shell is different from that of a conducting, uniform shell in several ways. Firstly, the non-conducting material does not allow for charge to easily flow through it, causing the E-field to be stronger on the outer surface of the shell compared to the inner surface. Additionally, the nonuniform distribution of material or charge can result in a more complex and irregular E-field compared to the more uniform and symmetrical E-field of a conducting shell.

4. How is the E-field of a non-conducting, nonuniform shell calculated?

The E-field of a non-conducting, nonuniform shell can be calculated using Gauss's law, which relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge within that surface. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at any point is the vector sum of the individual E-fields produced by each charge within the shell.

5. What factors can affect the E-field of a non-conducting, nonuniform shell?

The E-field of a non-conducting, nonuniform shell can be affected by various factors such as the size, shape, and distribution of the shell's material or charge, the magnitude and location of any external charges or fields, and the orientation and position of the shell relative to these external influences. Additionally, the type of non-conducting material used for the shell can also impact its E-field.