What Happens to the I-V Graph When Voltage Polarity Is Reversed?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between current and voltage on a graph according to Ohm's Law. The question of what would happen if the voltage was reversed was raised, with some suggesting a negative slope for the graph. However, the expert clarified that the resistance, represented by the slope, cannot be negative and the graph would remain the same with reversed voltage. They also mentioned that it is more common to graph current as a function of voltage and that the linearity of the graph depends on the constant resistance of the component. The conversation ended with the expert acknowledging their mistake and thanking for the clarification.
AngelofMusic
A very quick question about Ohm's Law:

When I graph I (x-axis) vs. V (y-axis), I would get the standard linear relationship specified by Ohm's Law.

One question asked: What would happen if the voltage were reversed? (I think it means what would happen if the polarity was reversed.)

I think that the graph should remain the same, because then V would become negative and so would the current. But some others are saying that this would result in a negative slope for the graph.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The slope of the graph is R, the resistance. Therefore, in a simple case such as this, it cannot be negative. You are correct then, both V and I would be "reversed".

I should also mention, just for general knowledge, that it is more common to draw a graph of I as a function of V, i.e I(v) rather than V(I) that you drew. The graph I(v) of an electric component describes the current through the component as a function of the potential on it, and its slope is the conductivity of the component (which is 1/R). It is a more useful graph because usually you control the V on the component, and not the current I through it. :smile: Also, I(v) (or V(I)) are not always linear, they are only linear when the resistance of the component is constant. In light bulbs, for example, the resistance changes as the heat grows, so the graphs of it will not be linear at all.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your clarification! And upon more careful reading, I was asked to plot the I-V curve, which indeed has I as a function of V. So thanks for your reminder as well! Caught my mistake! :-)

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electricity that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current increases, and as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

2. How is Ohm's Law expressed mathematically?

Ohm's Law is expressed as V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms. This equation shows that the voltage and current are directly proportional, and the resistance is the constant of proportionality.

3. How do I apply Ohm's Law in a circuit?

To apply Ohm's Law in a circuit, you need to know the values of two out of the three variables (voltage, current, and resistance). Once you have two values, you can use the Ohm's Law equation (V = IR) to calculate the third value. This can be useful in determining the appropriate resistance or voltage for a circuit.

4. What are the SI units for voltage, current, and resistance?

The SI unit for voltage is volts (V), for current is amperes (A), and for resistance is ohms (Ω). These units are named after the scientists who contributed to the development of Ohm's Law: Georg Ohm for resistance, Alessandro Volta for voltage, and André-Marie Ampère for current.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is used in many real-world applications, such as designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits, calculating the power consumption of electronic devices, and determining the appropriate wire size for a circuit. It is also the basis for many electronic devices, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. Additionally, Ohm's Law is used in the field of electrical engineering to design and optimize electrical systems and equipment.