Steam Power Plant: Solve Home Work Task

In summary, at 3 bar and 40C, steam enters the high pressure turbine at a rate of 20kg/s and expands to a pressure of 3 bar. This pressure is then reduced in the LP turbine to 0.05 bar, where part of the steam is reheated and expanded again. The water leaving the condenser is raised to the feed heater pressure which it enters at a temperature of 50C.
simonre7
Hi guys been given the following as some home work, haven't got a clue really its a bit confusing!

Steam ar 40 bar and 400C enters the high pressure turbine of a steam power plant at a rate of 20kg/s and explands to a pressure of 3 bar at which point it is just dry saturated. at this point part of the steam is re heated to 400C and then expands in the low pressure turbine to a condenser pressure of 0.05 bar with an isentropic efficiency of 88%. the remainder passes directly to asingle 'open' feed heater. the water leaving the condenser is raised to the feed heater pressure which it enters at a temp of 50C

1) Draw a schematic diagram of the plant and a corredponding cycle diagram on a temperature-entropy axes

2) neglecting feed pump work inputs, find:
a) the mass flow rates of steam and water entering the feed heater
b) the plnats power output and heat input
c) the plants thermal efficiency

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Use steam tables.

"Steam at 40 bar and 400C" is a thermodynamic statepoint with which is associated a specific enthalpy. One must know if it is superheated or otherwise.

"3 bar, dry saturated" is another statepoint - key here is 'dry saturated'. What is the saturation temperature of water at 3 bar?

The inlet conditions of the LP turbine (assuming negligible pressure drop across the reheater) is 400 C at 3 bar.

Then one must determine the liquid vs steam proportions based on "condenser pressure of 0.05 bar with an isentropic efficiency of 88%".

i'm not sure if it is super heated or not, all i have is the information i posted.

From my basic knowledge of steam tables i think the saturation temp of water at 3bar is about 133.5C

and to be honest from then on I am lost with where to look and what to do...

:cry:

Pain in the bum Thermodynamics!

1. What is a steam power plant?

A steam power plant is a type of thermal power plant that uses steam to generate electricity. It is the most common type of power plant and operates by heating water to produce steam, which then drives a turbine to generate electricity.

2. How does a steam power plant work?

A steam power plant works by burning a fuel source, such as coal, to heat water and produce steam. The steam then flows through a turbine, which turns a generator to produce electricity. The remaining steam is condensed back into water and recycled through the system.

3. What are the advantages of a steam power plant?

One of the main advantages of a steam power plant is its reliability. The technology has been in use for over a century and is well understood and easily maintained. Steam power plants also have a long lifespan and can operate continuously, making them a cost-effective option for generating electricity.

4. What are the environmental impacts of a steam power plant?

While steam power plants are a relatively clean source of energy compared to fossil fuel alternatives, they still produce emissions that contribute to air pollution and climate change. These emissions can be reduced through the use of advanced technologies, such as carbon capture and storage.

5. How can a steam power plant be made more efficient?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a steam power plant, including using higher temperature and pressure steam, improving the design of the turbine, and implementing advanced technologies like combined cycle systems. Regular maintenance and upgrades to the plant can also help to improve efficiency.