HOw to find tension in cable supports

In summary, tension in cable supports refers to the pulling force exerted on a cable when it is stretched between two points. It is important to find tension in cable supports for safety and to determine appropriate cable size and strength. Factors that affect tension include weight, distance, angle, and cable material. Tension can be calculated using the principle of equilibrium, but safety precautions should be taken when handling cables.
shaheryarbhatti
As shown in the picture there is no force applied over the cable.The self weight of cable is 313.9N(32KG) .And there is a sag of 250mm in the middle .I need to find the tension in the supports.

The length of the complete cable is 11.31m .We r not give the length between two supports.
If you require any further information i pleasez do tell.

Attachments

• Image052.jpg
    Image052.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
thank for ur help man it really helped me clear my concept.

1. What is tension in cable supports?

Tension in cable supports refers to the pulling force that is exerted on a cable or wire when it is stretched between two points. This force is responsible for keeping the cable taut and supporting any weight or load that is attached to it.

2. Why is it important to find tension in cable supports?

Knowing the tension in cable supports is important for ensuring the safety and stability of any structure that is supported by the cables. It also helps to determine the appropriate size and strength of the cables needed for a specific application.

3. What factors affect the tension in cable supports?

The tension in cable supports is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the load being supported, the distance between the two supports, the angle of the cable, and the strength and elasticity of the cable material.

4. How can tension in cable supports be calculated?

Tension in cable supports can be calculated using the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on a stationary object must equal zero. This involves considering the weight of the load, the angle of the cable, and the forces acting on the supports themselves.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when finding tension in cable supports?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when handling cables. It is also important to follow proper procedures for handling and securing the cable to avoid any accidents or injuries.