Determine Rate Law For Chem Reaction

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem that involves calculating the initial rate of a reaction. The problem presents a table with concentration values for two reactants and a missing value for the initial rate. The person asking for help is confused because the last column is labeled as "Reaction time (seconds)" instead of "Initial rate (M/s)". They suggest using the reaction time to convert it into the initial rate, but they are unsure of how to do so. Another person in the conversation mentions that the rate of change for one reactant can be calculated using data from two trials, but they are not sure if this is applicable to the given problem.
webdivx
Can some body please help me on my homework. The problem is in the link image below (click to go to it)

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1126/helplr7.jpg"

I'd know how to do that problem if it said "initial rate (M/s)" in the last column, but it says "Reaction time (seconds)" and I don't know what to do in that situation.

My guess is that I would need to somehow use that "Reaction time in seconds" to convert it into the initial rate, but I have noo idea how to. If I can do that I know the problem is easy, but I don't know how to. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. I remember these as in you have to calculate the rate of change for X. When you calculate it the other concentrations can show no chage. Example: ----A---B---Rate M/s
1--1.0--2.0-----x
2--2.0--2.0-----x
3--1.0--1.0-----x

To calculate the rate for A you would use trials 1 and two because B is the same in this

Note: None of the values are negative, I just had problems if the hyphens were not in place, the table got messed up.

Last edited:

Hello,

I am happy to assist you with your homework problem. To determine the rate law for a chemical reaction, we need to first understand the relationship between the rate of the reaction and the concentration of the reactants. This can be done by conducting several experiments and measuring the initial rate of the reaction at different concentrations of the reactants.

In this problem, the data is given in terms of reaction time (seconds) and concentration (M). To convert the reaction time into the initial rate, we can use the formula: initial rate = 1/reaction time. This will give us the initial rate in units of 1/s or s^-1.

Once we have the initial rates at different concentrations, we can plot a graph of initial rate vs. concentration and determine the order of the reaction with respect to each reactant. The overall rate law can then be determined by combining the orders of each reactant.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Question 1: What is a rate law and why is it important in chemistry?

A rate law is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the concentration of reactants and the rate of a chemical reaction. It is important in chemistry because it allows us to understand and predict how different factors, such as concentration and temperature, affect the rate of a reaction. This information is crucial in industries such as pharmaceuticals and materials science, where reaction rates can determine the success or failure of a product.

Question 2: How do you determine the rate law for a chemical reaction?

To determine the rate law for a chemical reaction, you need to perform a series of experiments where you vary the concentrations of reactants while keeping all other factors constant. From these experiments, you can observe how the rate of the reaction changes with different concentrations and use this information to determine the rate law through mathematical analysis.

Question 3: What is the difference between the rate law and the rate constant?

The rate law is the mathematical expression that relates the rate of a reaction to the concentrations of reactants. The rate constant, on the other hand, is a constant value that is specific to a particular reaction and is used in the rate law equation to calculate the rate of the reaction at a given set of conditions.

Question 4: Can the rate law change over time?

No, the rate law for a particular reaction is constant and does not change over time. However, the rate of the reaction may change over time due to factors such as changes in temperature or concentration, but the rate law remains the same.

Question 5: How does the rate law help us in predicting the outcome of a chemical reaction?

The rate law allows us to determine how changes in reactant concentration or other factors will affect the rate of a reaction. By using this information, we can predict the outcome of a reaction and make adjustments, such as changing the concentration of reactants, to speed up or slow down the reaction as desired.