Electric Car Engine Weight

In summary, the conversation revolves around converting a gas engine car into an electric engine car. The main concern is the weight of the vehicle, as the batteries needed for an electric engine may add a significant amount of weight. Li-Poly batteries are a lighter alternative, but have safety concerns. It is suggested that the converted car may weigh more than a normal gas powered car due to the number of batteries needed. Various projects and research can be found online for reference.
Chronothread
Hello everyone. Currently my brother and I are considering converting a gas engine car into an electric engine car. I'm still not exactly sure how well the vehicle we have chosen for this project will work. The main issue I'm worried about is weight. So, I was wondering if, in general, a conversation from gas to electric would increase the weight or decrease it. At first I was assuming that an electric engine would weigh less then the gas engine and all the components needed to run a gas vehicle, but then I realized the batteries will probably add a large amount of weight. So, before I go into more specific research of the measurements I would like to have a general idea of whether the weight is going to be an issue or not. Thank you for time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
A typical lead acid battery has a useful energy density of around 15Wh/kg. Gasoline is something like 45MJ/kg.

That should get you started.

Li-Poly batteries will weigh a lot less than lead-acid batteries, but they have a nasty habit of exploding if overcharged. Because of li-poly batteries and more efficient brushless motors, radio control aircraft are making the switch to electric based power.

Even with the Li-Poly batteries I would suggest that if you want comparable amounts of miles to your gas powered car then your car is going to weight a fair bit more than a normal gas powered car just because of the sheer number of batteries.

a hundred or two lbs less for the motor/drive train
and a thousand or two more for the batterys

El-trick cars are HEAVY

google up some projects others have done

1. How much does an electric car engine weigh?

An electric car engine typically weighs anywhere from 300-600 pounds, depending on the model and size of the car.

2. Is an electric car engine heavier than a traditional gasoline engine?

No, electric car engines are typically lighter than traditional gasoline engines. This is because electric engines have fewer moving parts and do not require a heavy fuel tank.

3. Does the weight of the engine affect the performance of an electric car?

Yes, the weight of the engine can impact the performance of an electric car. A heavier engine can decrease the car's range and acceleration, while a lighter engine can improve these factors.

4. Can the weight of an electric car engine be reduced?

Yes, manufacturers are constantly working on ways to reduce the weight of electric car engines through advancements in technology and materials. This can improve the overall performance and efficiency of the car.

5. How does the weight of an electric car engine compare to the weight of the battery?

The weight of the engine is typically much less than the weight of the battery in an electric car. The battery can weigh anywhere from 500-1,000 pounds, depending on the size and capacity of the car.