Creating a Java Voice Chat Room with Admin Functions

• Java
  • Thread starter apples
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chat Java
In summary: Really, unless you want to start a career in web development, I would recommend going for a pre-built and hosted solution. I've met many advanced web programmers who would not know how to build a voice chat application from the ground up.
apples said:
The person i hired ran away. This is turning out to be really difficult and disappointing.(

Is it really any wonder? Why would anyone want to work, without pay, for someone who doesn't even know what he/she is doing?

If someone came up to you and said, "Hey, could you build me a house, you know, for free? 'cause I don't know how to build houses or anything, but I really need one very badly right now," how would you respond?

If you really want this thing written, you either need to go to school and learn how to program, or you need to shell out some tens of thousands of dollars to pay someone else who knows how to program. Either way, it's going to take longer than a month or two to get it written. The bottom line is that your goals are completely unrealistic, and you need to revise them.

- Warren

Technology news on Phys.org
Of course, we agreed on a deal. What else does hiring mean?

apples said:
Of course, we agreed on a deal. What else does hiring mean?

You're misinterpreting Warren's response.

chroot said:
Is it really any wonder? Why would anyone want to work, without pay, for someone who doesn't even know what he/she is doing?

If someone came up to you and said, "Hey, could you build me a house, you know, for free? 'cause I don't know how to build houses or anything, but I really need one very badly right now," how would you respond?

If you really want this thing written, you either need to go to school and learn how to program, or you need to shell out some tens of thousands of dollars to pay someone else who knows how to program. Either way, it's going to take longer than a month or two to get it written. The bottom line is that your goals are completely unrealistic, and you need to revise them.

- Warren

Ranger, I'm not misinterpreting him.
What else is he saying? He thinks I want someone to build the program for free. He thinks I hired someone for free. Whereas we had agreed on a pay.
Plus what else has he done in this thread other than discourage and mock in every post of his in this thread. How helpful was it for me to accomplish my goal? How helpful was his posts to accomplish anything, except accomplishing to piss me off.
Some people lead depressed life dejected by everyone, they in turn express a similar attitude.
The topic was that I needed help and guidance, not that I wanted people to show attitude.

Sorry apples,

I work in engineering, and part of my job (literally) is to identify unrealistic goals, like yours, and fix them. I certainly don't live a depressed life, dejected (sic) by everyone. :rofl:

- Warren

Apples, the reason why you've gotten flack here is because your post was extremely naive and most forum goers become jaded about that sort of post after a while.

This is something you could google yourself to find an existing application. If after googling you are unable to find one, then ask. But don't expect everyone to research this like crazy for you. If someone pointing you in the right direction doesn't work because you "can't do it," then that kind of annoys the person trying to help you.

Also, you should mention why you need this so urgently. You say that this is so urgent, and yet you say you will be too busy for this when you get back from your trip. If it's really so important, then why will you be too busy for this? This is a top priority right? You shouldn't rush those trying to help you if you aren't willing to even do your own googling for existing applications. It's rude. It's also rude to say you "need help with java" when you don't know anything about programming. When someone reads your message and is going to offer you advice, they would rather you not ask for "help with java" when you don't even know the language.

I do hope you find a solution though. A good place to start would be: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=webpage+voice+chat+application&btnG=Google+Search

The first link returned from that search has a service that is exactly what you are looking for.

chroot said:
Sorry apples,

I work in engineering, and part of my job (literally) is to identify unrealistic goals, like yours, and fix them. I certainly don't live a depressed life, dejected (sic) by everyone. :rofl:

- Warren

Good for you!

Ach so.

I don't fully understand why someone would run away from a job they are getting paid for? Why did the person who you made an agreement with run away?

Why do you need this so urgently before you leave town?

And I think by the terms of blue print, people need to know some foregrounding as to what platform this application is going to be developed under.

Operating System : All 32-bit MS Windows (95/98/NT/2000/XP) That is fine. But then we find: User Interface : Carbon (Mac OS X), Handheld/Mobile/PDA, Win32 (MS Windows)Now I am confused by that.

Programming Langauge : ASP, C, C++, Java, JavaScript, PHP

That's even more confusing. Thats complicated, C, C++, Java mixed in one application. Why two server-side languages and 1 client-client?

You have high expections that will never be met by anyone but yourself. And you seem to take offence to the bluntness and honestly of others, when none is ment.

But if you are desperate and have the money. There is this site, rentacoder.com

or

if you are keen to learn, I found this on java.sun.com

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/pdf/programmer_guide.pdf

Last edited:
It's urgent because I'm going out of town. Now since it seems unlikely to be complete it won't be urgent once I'm back my mid-Aug.
The person ran away because he said he needs to go out of town as well.
That seems really funny, but that is what people would do once it gets 50 degrees Celsius.

I'm not offended; I appreciate people helping me.

Thank you.

Apples, saying that you are "going out of town" doesn't explain why this is so important. It only explains that you have a limited time-frame. Imagine if I were to exclaim, "I need a shotgun right now!" To which, someone asked me, "Why is it important for you to have a shotgun right this instant?" I reply, "Because I don't have much time!" I'm sure nobody would be scrambling to get me a shotgun. If I were to say, "Because a monster is coming and it is going to kill us both if we don't defend ourselves!" I might get the shotgun a little faster. Do you see why? If not, then that is very disappointing.

What is this webpage voice chat for? Why is it so important that you implement this before your trip?

Last edited:
Read what I wrote.
if you want me to repeat it. I said that it won't be urgent anymore once I come back. because then I'll have ample time.
Why is it important is of no concern. It's entirely personal.

Why it is important is of concern though.

But, if it was personal, why didn't you just say so?

Did you look at the website that I referred you to that offers voice chat through webpages?

yes i did. It doesn't have voice but it is good. But the problem is i don't want the user to be able to see/visit/create other rooms. i just want a single room.
that's the thing.

That makes things easier. Why don't you start with a text chat first which is simple enough to put together? You'll need a web host (a cheap one is fine) a server side language like PHP and a database solution. Most web hosts, even the cheap ones, give you at least one SQL/MySQL database.

You put together a PHP script that interacts with the database. The PHP script will have methods for posting a new message to the chat screen and for obtaining newly posted messages.

Finally you put together a simple HTML page containing some javascript which uses Ajax to call the PHP script to write/read chat messages. In a couple of hours you can have a working text chat.

something similar to a text chat thing is already there. the thing is to add voice and moderation functions.

I really don't see why Skype or even NetMeeting won't completely satisfy your needs.

- Warren

i explained twice. Because then you have to invite other people in the conversation/room. people can't join themselves.

Why not use teamspeak or ventrillo?

You're not making it easy for us to help you, you know.

I doubt anyone will help a project that has no purpose. And currently this project has no purpose. Because well quite frankly there is no use for this project as there are a variety of others already widely available.