PCB Design for Newbies: Learn to Read Schematics

In summary, the person is seeking resources to learn about PCB design, specifically using CAD tools. They mention wanting to learn how to read a PCB schematic before designing one. The expert suggests looking for online tutorials for popular design tools like OrCAD, Protel, and Pads. The person clarifies that they are not asking for someone to teach them, just for guidance on where to start. The expert recommends checking out tutorials on basic PCB schematics and layout guidelines, but advises that it may not cover everything and suggests asking specific questions instead.
Swapnil
Hi there! I am thinking about learning to design PCB boards but I only know a little about PCB boards to begin with. So can any of you guys give me some resources that could help me in learning more about PCB design (i.e. using CAD tools). I think that before going about designing the schematic for a PCB, I would first like to learn more about how to read a PCB schematic which should give me a nice start.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You're asking for about two year's worth of experience to be boiled down into a post on a forum -- it ain't going to happen.

The most common PCB design tools in industry are probably OrCAD, Protel, and Pads. Perhaps you should start by looking up any online tutorials for these tools. If you have any specific questions, ask those later.

- Warren

Actually I wasn't trying to ask you to teach me how to design a PCB. I was just trying asking you to point me to the right direction so that I get at least get started.

Those tutorials are great but they would only help me if I know the basics of PCB design to begin with. But I don't really know the basics! Is there any tutorials online that you know of which would show me some basic PCB schematics and introduce me to the different aspects of the layout.

Again, what you're asking for is several years of experience boiled down into a forum post.

If you have some specific questions, please ask those instead.

- Warren

Swapnil said:
Those tutorials are great but they would only help me if I know the basics of PCB design to begin with. But I don't really know the basics! Is there any tutorials online that you know of which would show me some basic PCB schematics and introduce me to the different aspects of the layout.

Do the tutorials at the bottom of this wikipedia page help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCB_layout_guidelines [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is PCB design and why is it important for newbies to learn?

PCB design stands for printed circuit board design, which is the process of creating a layout or blueprint for a printed circuit board. This is important for newbies to learn because PCBs are the backbone of most electronic devices and understanding how to read schematics is crucial for troubleshooting and designing electronic circuits.

2. What is a schematic and how does it relate to PCB design?

A schematic is a visual representation of an electronic circuit, using symbols to represent the different components and their connections. It is used in PCB design as a guide for laying out and connecting components on the actual circuit board.

3. What are the key elements to look for in a PCB schematic?

The key elements to look for in a PCB schematic include the power supply, ground connections, input/output connections, and the components and their connections. It is also important to pay attention to the labeling and numbering of components to accurately follow the schematic.

4. What are some common mistakes made by newbies in PCB design?

Some common mistakes made by newbies in PCB design include not properly understanding the schematics, incorrect placement of components, and not taking into account factors like heat dissipation and trace widths. It is important to thoroughly understand the schematic and double check all connections and placements before creating the final design.

5. What are some helpful tips for newbies learning to read schematics for PCB design?

Some helpful tips for newbies learning to read schematics for PCB design include starting with simple circuits, practicing regularly, and seeking guidance from experienced designers. It is also important to familiarize oneself with common symbols and their meanings and to always double check connections and labeling to avoid mistakes.