How to preserve date modified when saving to external hard drive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "date modified" as an organizational tool and the issue of losing the attribute when transferring files between drives of different formats. It is noted that the "date modified" aspect is preserved for files, but not for folders. There is a suggestion to sort by date created instead and to manually include the date modified in the file title as a workaround.
Simfish
Gold Member
So I use "date modified" as a sort of organizational tool - and would like to keep that. When my NTFS hard drive transfers files to a FAT32 hard drive, date modified attribute of folders is kept. However, I reformatted the FAT32 hard drive into another NTFS hard drive - and the date modified for all folders is lost. Interestingly enough, the "date modified" aspect for files is kept - but since I organize my files according to folders - this presents somewhat of a problem. Does anyone know more about the "date modified" attribute?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Date modified is supposed to change. I would be surprised if it doesn't.

But there is an option to sort by date created. That date is preserved even when you copy or move files across drives of different formats.

In addition, you can always put the date modified into the title. This will be a bit cumbersome, but if the system doesn't allow you, you'll have to find your own ways.

1. How do I preserve the date modified when saving to an external hard drive?

There are a few different methods you can use to preserve the date modified when saving to an external hard drive. One option is to use a backup and syncing software that allows you to preserve the original file attributes. Another option is to manually change the date modified after transferring the file to the external hard drive.

2. Will using a file compression tool affect the date modified when saving to an external hard drive?

It depends on the specific file compression tool you are using. Some tools may preserve the original date modified, while others may change it to the date the file was compressed. It is important to check the settings of the file compression tool before using it to transfer files to an external hard drive.

3. Can I preserve the date modified when transferring files between different operating systems?

Yes, it is possible to preserve the date modified when transferring files between different operating systems. However, the exact method may vary depending on the specific operating systems and file systems being used. It is best to research the specific steps for preserving the date modified for the operating systems you are using.

4. What happens to the date modified when transferring files to a cloud storage service?

When transferring files to a cloud storage service, the date modified may be preserved or changed depending on the specific service and settings being used. Some services may automatically preserve the original date modified, while others may change it to the date the file was uploaded. It is important to check the settings of the cloud storage service before using it to transfer files.

5. Is there a way to preserve the date modified for multiple files at once when saving to an external hard drive?

Yes, there are ways to preserve the date modified for multiple files at once when saving to an external hard drive. Some backup and syncing software allow you to select multiple files and preserve their original attributes during the transfer process. You can also use a batch file renaming tool to manually change the date modified for multiple files at once after transferring them to the external hard drive.