Memory Problem? Not using computer for 8 weeks

In summary: Just search for "memtest" and you should find some instructions on how to do it. In summary, the conversation discussed issues with memory on a Windows XP home computer, specifically an almost daily problem of getting a BSOD with a memory dump error. The user suspects it may be caused by running Firefox and Winamp simultaneously. They ran ad-aware and found 5 "critical objects," but will also do a virus scan. They are also looking for recommendations for a free virus scanner and mention that they will be moving out for 8 weeks and not using their desktop during that time. The conversation also includes suggestions to download an older version of Firefox and a free memory tester program.
mattmns
Recently I have been having a problem with my memory, at least that is what I think it is. I am using Windows XP home (SP 2) [1 gb memory], and in the past week or so I have been having an almost daily problem of getting a BSOD with a memory dump error. I often hear people complain about Firefox having memory problems, and that could be it. It seems common that I have this problem when I am using Firefox and Winamp at the same time, which I do often and am currently doing right now :smile: I am not sure if I got a virus or some other bad thing or not, but I just ran ad-aware and had 5 "critical objects" none of which seemed to be really critical (just browser cache/cookie stuff). I will do a virus scan in a minute and see if I get anything. Any other ideas about what to do here? Thanks.

edit... I just realized that I don't have a virus scanner, any recommendations here? Something free of course.

Also, I will be moving out for 8 weeks on Friday and not using my desktop computer for that entire period. Is there anything I should do here? Thanks!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Download an older version of Firefox if you'd like. I'm still using 1.5, because it's a tank. Also, download one of the many free memory tester programs and run them.

- Warren

Avast home edition is a very competent and free virus scanner. It also uses very little system resources.

You can also get a memory diagnostic tool to check your memory.
http://www.memtest.org/
In my experience I've found Windows not very picky with memory issues (only in extreme conditions does it give the BSoD). For instance I've had a laptop where I only had windows xp on it; it worked fine. However, once I attempted to install GNU Linux on it, I was getting all sorts of kernel errors and panics. Running memtest revealed the obvious.

Last edited:
I'll attest to the issues with Firefox. I wish I still had my older version. I love the program, but 2.0 has some issues.

Thanks for the link Ranger. I wish I had known about Avast sooner. I just re-upped my subscription to Norton.

Yup, 2.0 has some memory problems., I notice them even more when I use Java and flash based applets. Although its never been that extreme to cause a BSoD; just merely crashes. I guess that's why the developers put in that recovery feature :) Then there's that issue with it using too much memory space. I use it to browse the net for about 15 mins, and I run top on Linux and omg, it eats up +60MB of memory!. Its even worse if you have add-ons and themes.

I'd go back to 1.5 but I like individual close buttons for tabs :)

ranger said:
I'd go back to 1.5 but I like individual close buttons for tabs :)

I use Tab Mix Plus on 1.5
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122

Thanks, robphy. I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for the responses. I ran the virus software and I think I had nothing (I was away from the computer when it was running). I did not run the memory test because my cd burner is always iffy and seems to rarely work. I will look at trying it and Firefox 1.5 when I get back.

mattmns said:
Thanks for the responses. I ran the virus software and I think I had nothing (I was away from the computer when it was running). I did not run the memory test because my cd burner is always iffy and seems to rarely work. I will look at trying it and Firefox 1.5 when I get back.

You can run memtest from a bootable USB drive or floppy disk.

What causes memory problems?

There are several factors that can contribute to memory problems, including aging, medical conditions such as Alzheimer's disease or dementia, and lifestyle choices like poor diet, lack of sleep, and excessive alcohol consumption.

How can not using a computer for 8 weeks affect memory?

Not using a computer for 8 weeks may lead to a decline in cognitive abilities, as the brain is not being stimulated and challenged in the same way. This can result in difficulty with memory, attention, and problem-solving skills.

Can using a computer too much cause memory problems?

While excessive computer use can lead to eye strain and physical discomfort, there is no evidence to suggest that it directly causes memory problems. However, it may contribute to a sedentary lifestyle and lack of social interaction, which can impact overall brain health.

What can be done to improve memory after not using a computer for 8 weeks?

Engaging in mentally stimulating activities such as puzzles and reading, maintaining a healthy diet, getting regular exercise, and practicing good sleep habits can help improve memory after a period of not using a computer. Seeking guidance from a medical professional may also be beneficial.

Is memory loss reversible?

It depends on the cause of the memory loss. In some cases, such as age-related memory decline, there may be no way to completely reverse it. However, in other cases, such as memory problems caused by lifestyle choices, making positive changes can help improve memory abilities.