Installing a CD-Image .iso file ?

• Thread starter Dr.Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to install a downloaded .iso file of the Kubuntu OS as an alternate operating system to Windows XP. Options include burning the .iso onto a CD or DVD, using a virtual CD emulator to view the files, and booting from a USB flash drive. There is also mention of extracting the files with daemon tools and using a floppy boot-loader to install from a DVD.
Dr.Brain
Installing a CD-Image .iso file ??

I have downloaded the CD Image file ( .iso ) of the Kubuntu OS , Now I want to install it as my alternate OS to windows Xp , Can I do it without burning it to a CD??... some other way??...

Also , I have got DVD writer with me but no CD writer , so if I write a DVD with this image ( .iso ) , wud it behave like a CD , when I boot my comp from CDROM?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you downloaded the DVD file or the ones meant for CD?
http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php#latest [Broken] [scroll down close to the middle of the page]

I think you can burn a CD on a DVD writer. But burning an iso meant for a CD on a DVD...I doubt if it would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most DVD burners will also burn CDs, but you'll have to use CD media

DVD writers can burn an .iso image of a CD onto a CD.

You can mount the .iso with a Virtual CD emulator (see examples at http://lifehacker.com/software/virtual-disk/mount-an-iso-file-without-burning-a-disk-180124.php ) and view the files on it. At that stage, I'm not sure if there is an installer that can be run without rebooting. If all you have is DVD media, you may be able to burn the files on the mounted .iso [not the .iso-file itself] onto a bootable DVD.

An alternative may be to boot off a USB flash drive containing the files from .iso, if your computer allows booting from a USB device. You may have to make some modifications to the files on the USB drive.

Dr.Brain said:
Also , I have got DVD writer with me but no CD writer...
I've never heard of such a device...

I use to have a copy of windows ME on my d: drive which i used to run the widows setup from if i wanted to reinstall, Not sure if it will work in this case though. But you can extract the files from the image using daemon tools.

Mount the image using daemon tools which is free to download and then find the image drive daemon places in My computer, open the image drive and copy the files from the image TO another drive or partition if you have one and try installing from their.

Just burn the files to a dvd, then use a floppy boot-loader (which comes with almost every linux distro) and use that to load the files from the DVD if you can't get the DVD to boot.

1. What is a CD-Image .iso file?

A CD-Image .iso file is a digital copy of the contents of a CD or DVD. It contains all the data and files that would be found on the physical disc, but in a single, compressed file format.

2. How do I install a CD-Image .iso file?

To install a CD-Image .iso file, you will need to use a disc mounting software such as Daemon Tools or WinCDEmu. These programs will allow you to virtually mount the .iso file as a virtual CD or DVD drive, which will then allow you to access and install the files as if you were using a physical disc.

3. Can I install a CD-Image .iso file on any operating system?

Yes, CD-Image .iso files can be installed on any operating system as long as you have a disc mounting software compatible with your operating system. However, the contents of the .iso file may only be usable on specific operating systems, so be sure to check the system requirements before installing.

4. Is it legal to use CD-Image .iso files?

It is legal to use CD-Image .iso files if you have obtained them legally, such as purchasing the original CD or DVD and creating a backup copy. However, downloading and using pirated or copyrighted material is illegal.

5. Can I delete the CD-Image .iso file after installation?

Yes, once you have successfully installed the files from the CD-Image .iso file, you can delete the .iso file as it is no longer needed. However, it is always a good idea to keep a backup of the .iso file in case you need to reinstall the software in the future.