Have you ever heard Electric Field of one turn Solenoid?

In summary, This conversation discusses an example from MIT involving the electric field of a one turn solenoid. The example can be found in Chapter 10 of the MIT book on Magnetoquasistatic Electric Fields. The example describes a circular cylindrical conductor with an inside radius a much smaller than its length in the z direction. There is confusion about whether the solenoid is 2D or 3D and the validity of Equation (14) which claims the field inside the solenoid is uniform, axial, and equal to the surface current. It is suggested that a guru in Electrodynamics may be able to better understand the example.
walkinginwater
Have you ever heard "Electric Field of one turn Solenoid?

hi, guys:
Have you ever heard "Electric Field of one turn Solenoid"? Here is a example from MIT.
  1. Click on the weblink: http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/book.html
  2. Click on the Chapter 10 in the left part of the screen!
  3. Now Click on 10.1 , which say something about Magnetoquasistatic Electric Fields in Systems of PerfectConductors
  4. In the Example 10.1.2, you will find the Electric Field of one turn Solenoid

I am confused about this example!
First I cannot understand "a circular cylindrical conductor having an inside radius a much less than its length in the z direction" Is this solenoid 3 dimension or 2 dimension? If it is 3 dimension, is it still " solenoid'?
Second I cannot agree with the Equation (14), which claims that "the field inside the solenoid is uniform, axial, and equal to the surface current " ??

Anyway, I cannot understand the example at all, does anybody who is a guru in Electrodynamics can understand that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Figure 10.1.3 shows the cross section view of a "cyliner". The cylinder height, z direction, is into the page.

Equation 14: the words do say "surface current" but K is surface current denisty, Amps/length. I think the Iz in this equation should be possibly Nz (unit norm in Z direction) since H is a bolded vector.

But by the same reasons discussed in 10.1.1 the H field would be essentially uniform and axial in the z direction given a very long and very small dia.

I have indeed heard of the concept of the Electric Field of one turn Solenoid. A solenoid is a device that consists of a tightly wound coil of wire, often in the shape of a cylinder. When a current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field inside the solenoid. This magnetic field can induce an electric field in the space surrounding the solenoid. The Electric Field of one turn Solenoid refers to the electric field that is present when a current is passed through a solenoid with only one turn of wire.

As for the example from MIT, it is a demonstration of the concept of the Electric Field of one turn Solenoid. The solenoid in the example is three-dimensional, as it is a cylindrical conductor with a length in the z-direction. The equation (14) mentioned in the example is a simplification, assuming that the solenoid is infinitely long and has a uniform current distribution. In reality, the electric field inside the solenoid may not be completely uniform, but this simplification allows for easier calculations and understanding of the concept.

It is not uncommon for scientific concepts and equations to be simplified for ease of understanding and calculation. However, it is important to keep in mind that these simplifications may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. it is our job to critically analyze and understand these concepts, and to question and challenge any discrepancies or misunderstandings.

1. What is the purpose of an electric field of a one turn solenoid?

The purpose of an electric field of a one turn solenoid is to create a magnetic field within the solenoid that can be used for various applications such as electromagnets, motors, and generators.

2. How is the electric field of a one turn solenoid calculated?

The electric field of a one turn solenoid can be calculated using the formula E = N * I / L, where E is the electric field, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, I is the current, and L is the length of the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a one turn solenoid?

The strength of the electric field in a one turn solenoid can be affected by the number of turns, the current, the length of the solenoid, and the material used for the solenoid.

4. Can the electric field of a one turn solenoid be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field of a one turn solenoid can be manipulated by changing the number of turns, the current, or the length of the solenoid. Different materials can also affect the electric field.

5. How is the electric field of a one turn solenoid used in real-world applications?

The electric field of a one turn solenoid is used in various applications such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic locks. It is also used in everyday objects such as speakers and doorbells.