Change in entropy, Gibbs and Helmholtz in an isothermal compression

In summary, the change in entropy, Helmholtz free energy, and Gibbs free energy when a mole of ideal gas is compressed from 1atm to 100atm at 20C can be calculated using the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The resulting values for all three properties are found to be temperature-independent and can be expressed in terms of the initial and final pressures. The approach taken in the conversation involves using the ideal gas law and the definitions for the free energies to derive the expressions for the change in entropy, Helmholtz free energy, and Gibbs free energy. Both approaches yield the same result, showing that the change in Helmholtz free energy and Gibbs free energy are identical for this isothermal
T-7

Homework Statement

Determine the change in the entropy, Helmholtz free energy, and Gibbs free energy, when a mole of ideal gas is compressed from 1atm to 100atm at 20C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not entirely convinced by my attempt below -- can anyone spot something wrong? (I thought it odd that the entropy change should be temperature-independent...)

From the first law

[tex]dU = dQ - dW = dQ - PdV[/tex]

From the second law,

[tex]dS = dQ / T \Rightarrow dQ = TdS[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]dU = TdS - PdV[/tex]

Transposing to get dS:

[tex]dS = \frac{dU}{T} + \frac{P}{T}dV[/tex]

But the compression takes place at 20C => isothermal => dT = 0 => dU = 0. Thus:

[tex]dS = \frac{P}{T}dV[/tex]

From the ideal gas law,

[tex]PV = RT \Rightarrow V = \frac{RT}{P} \Rightarrow dV = -\frac{RT}{P^{2}}dP[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]dS = -R\frac{dP}{P} \Rightarrow \Delta S = Rln(P_{1}/P_{2})[/tex]

For the Helmholtz free energy, I reason:

[tex]dF = -SdT - PdV[/tex]

isothermal => dT = 0. Thus:

[tex]dF = -PdV[/tex]

Again, using the ideal gas law, rewrite as:

[tex]dF = RT\frac{dP}{P} \Rightarrow \Delta S = RTln(P_{2}/P_{1})[/tex]

And finally, for the Gibbs Free energy, I reason:

[tex]dG = -SdT + VdP = VdP = \frac{RT}{P}dP[/tex]

So, in this case, [tex]\Delta G = \Delta F[/tex]

Is this the right approach?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took a slightly different approach which otherwise parallels yours and got the same result. If we start from

[tex]PV = RT[/tex] , with T constant, and differentiate, we have

[tex] P dV + V dP = 0 \Rightarrow P dV = - V dP[/tex].

For an isothermal process,

[tex]dU = dQ - PdV = 0 \Rightarrow dQ = P dV = -V dP[/tex] ,

so we can write

[tex]dS = dQ / T = -(V dP/T) = -(RT/PT) dP = - R (dP/P)[/tex] ,

using the ideal gas law. This yields the result you found,

[tex]\Delta S = R ln(P_{1}/P_{2})[/tex] .

If we start from the definitions for the free energies,

[tex]F = U - TS [/tex] and [tex] G = U + PV - TS [/tex] and differentiate, we have

[tex]dF = dU - T dS - S dT[/tex] and

[tex]dG = dU + P dV + V dP - T dS - S dT [/tex].

If we strip away all the terms equal to zero for an isothermal process (dU = 0 , dT = 0), these reduce to

[tex]dF = - T dS [/tex] and [tex]dG = P dV + V dP - T dS [/tex] ;

but, as we showed above, [tex] P dV + V dP = 0[/tex] , so

[tex]dF = - T dS = dG [/tex] .

Thus, applying our result for [tex]\Delta S[/tex],

[tex]\Delta F = \Delta G = RT ln(P_{2}/P_{1})[/tex].

[Almost missed that: the signs flip again going from dS to dF or dG, so the order of the integration limits doesn't reverse this time...]

I suppose that, given the definitions of what F and G are (see Wiki, for instance), it perhaps isn't surprising that [tex]\Delta F[/tex] and [tex]\Delta G[/tex] are the same for this process.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the confirmation :smile:

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

How does entropy change in an isothermal compression?

In an isothermal compression, the temperature of the system remains constant while the volume decreases. This results in a decrease in the system's entropy as the molecules become more ordered and less random.

What is the Gibbs free energy?

The Gibbs free energy is a thermodynamic property that combines the effects of both entropy and enthalpy (heat energy) on a system. It is often used to determine whether a process is spontaneous or not.

What is the Helmholtz free energy?

The Helmholtz free energy is another thermodynamic property that combines the effects of both entropy and internal energy on a system. It is commonly used to determine the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a system at constant temperature and volume.

How does the Helmholtz free energy relate to the Gibbs free energy?

The Helmholtz free energy is a special case of the Gibbs free energy, where the system is held at constant volume instead of constant pressure. In this case, the Helmholtz free energy is equal to the Gibbs free energy minus the product of pressure and volume.