Studying engineering on a part time basis

In summary: If one is able to balance work and study, it can be done. However, if one cannot balance work and study, it is much harder.
jwlurch14
I was wondering if it is possible to obtain an engineering (mechanical specifically) degree by attending school on a part time basis? Reason for my question is that I work full time and attend a local community college for general ed's. The community college offers pretty much all courses in morning and evening so it is very convienent. What experiences/thoughts do you guys have on the subject in terms of class time offerings at your university and the rigor of the subject? I have friends in college that tell me it is pretty impossible (they are not engineering majors, however). Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is done quite regularly. I know several people in my EE program that are taking on average two courses a semester and one course over the summer. The program I'm in (UT Austin) requires by default that students take at least 14 hours a semester, but scales those requirements back based on how many hours a week a person works. The requirement for full time emploees (>40 hours work) is 6 hours a semester.

Attending university part-time is perhaps more common these days than say 2 or 3 decades ago. The faculty at my university encouraged students to go full time, and if possible, encouraged students to find part time work. However, that rule usually applied to students coming straight out of high school. People working full time or older folks who had gone to work straight out of high school were much more likely to go to university part time in their undergrad program.

As for grad school, I was encouraged to go full time and I was awarded research and teaching assistantships. During my MS program, I also found a full time job at a local municipal water production facility. A friend, who was a PhD candidate in a different program, also work at the facility, but he worked the graveyard shift.

Math, science (e.g. physics) and engineering, can be sufficiently rigorous that to be effective, one should take as many classes in the shortest period of time as possible.

1. What are the benefits of studying engineering on a part-time basis?

Studying engineering on a part-time basis allows individuals to balance their studies with other commitments, such as work or family. It also allows for a more flexible schedule and the ability to pace the coursework at a manageable pace.

2. Can I still become a licensed engineer if I study part-time?

Yes, as long as you meet the requirements for licensure in your state or country, studying engineering on a part-time basis should not affect your ability to become a licensed engineer.

3. Will studying engineering part-time take longer than studying full-time?

Generally, yes. Part-time students typically take fewer courses per semester, which can extend the overall length of the program. However, this varies depending on the program and individual circumstances.

4. How do part-time engineering programs differ from full-time programs?

Part-time engineering programs often have a more flexible schedule, allowing students to take courses in the evening or on weekends. They may also offer online or hybrid courses to accommodate the needs of working professionals. Additionally, part-time programs may have a longer timeframe for completion compared to full-time programs.

5. What types of engineering degrees can be obtained through part-time study?

Many engineering degrees, including bachelor's, master's, and even doctoral degrees, can be obtained through part-time study. However, it is important to research and confirm that the program you are interested in offers a part-time option.