SACD/Audio CD is not recognised by DVD player

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker bought a CD with both SACD and Audio CD layers and tried to play it in their DVD player, but it was not recognized. They were able to play it on their computer, but are seeking suggestions for why it may not be working on the DVD player. One possible explanation could be a dirty lens, which was resolved by cleaning it. However, the speaker is unsure of any other technical differences between SACD and normal audio that could be causing the issue.
neutrino
I just bought a CD which is primarily the SACD version but which also contains the usual Audio CD layer, so that it should also be playable in normal players. I inserted it into the DVD player (it's what I usually use to listen to CDs), but the CD is not recognised. I get a 'NO DISC' on the display. I can play it in my computer, though.

Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If the player is old it might just be a simple issue of a dirty lens. One I had would play everything except this one DVD which was brand new that it wouldn't recognise. I cleaned it (for the first time after many years) and it worked fine.

Other than that I have no idea since I don't know what the technical differences are with SACD and normal audio.

It is possible that your DVD player is not compatible with SACD format. SACD (Super Audio CD) is a high-resolution audio format that requires a specific type of player to be played. Some DVD players may advertise SACD compatibility, but may only be able to play the regular audio CD layer and not the high-resolution layer.

In this case, it is likely that your DVD player is not recognizing the SACD layer and is displaying the 'NO DISC' error. It is also possible that the DVD player may need a firmware update to support SACD playback.

If you want to play the SACD layer of the CD, you may need to invest in a dedicated SACD player or check the specifications of your DVD player to ensure it is compatible with SACD. Alternatively, you can continue playing the regular audio CD layer on your DVD player or use your computer to play the SACD layer.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue and provides some potential solutions for you.

1. Why is my SACD/Audio CD not being recognized by my DVD player?

There could be a few reasons for this issue. Some DVD players are not compatible with SACD or Audio CDs, so it is important to check your DVD player's specifications to see if it can play these formats. Additionally, if the disc is dirty or scratched, it may not be able to be read by the DVD player. In some cases, the laser lens on the DVD player may need to be cleaned or there could be a problem with the disc itself.

2. Can I play SACD/Audio CDs on any DVD player?

No, not all DVD players are capable of playing SACD or Audio CDs. Some DVD players are only designed to play DVDs, while others may have the capability to play a wider range of formats. It is important to check your DVD player's specifications to see if it is compatible with SACD and Audio CDs.

3. Can I play SACD/Audio CDs on a Blu-ray player?

It depends on the specific Blu-ray player. Some Blu-ray players are capable of playing SACD and Audio CDs, while others are not. It is important to check the specifications of your Blu-ray player to see if it is compatible with these formats.

4. How can I clean my SACD/Audio CD to improve playback on my DVD player?

If your DVD player is having trouble recognizing the SACD/Audio CD, it may be due to a dirty or scratched disc. You can clean the disc by gently wiping it with a soft, lint-free cloth in a radial motion from the center to the outer edge. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the disc further.

5. Is there a difference in sound quality between SACD and Audio CD?

Yes, there is a difference in sound quality between SACD and Audio CD. SACD uses a higher resolution and a different encoding method, resulting in a more detailed and dynamic sound. However, the difference may not be noticeable to all listeners and depends on the quality of the recording and equipment used.