Conducting the Double Slit Experiment

In summary: I think I will go with that then. Thanks again for the help!In summary, people advised the experimenter on how to conduct the experiment, and told them what kind of laser would be best for the task at hand. They also gave a brief explanation of Young's double slit experiment.
AzonicZeniths
hey everybody, I am doing a physics project on the double slit experiment. (I know all the physics and math behind it so don't get into that stuff :P) I was just wondering if people had any suggestions on how to conduct the experiment, I was thinking of cutting two extremely small (knife blade) slits into a tinfoil (or something else of similar make up) plate (about 1mm apart) and shining a light directly at the plate, thus creating the famous interference pattern. I am also wondering if I need coherent light or not?

So, suggestions on how to conduct, and the light question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure that is has to be coherent for best resuts, more like a laser-ish thing/light cannon.

Here is how it should look like in theory:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/schroedinger/two-slit2.html

Post some pictures of it when you do it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of a laser would I need for this to fully work? Like, a $5 laser from a dollar store or something that is quite large? I'm assuming that I need to engulf the two slits entirely.

http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Young's-Double-Slit-Experiment

This one is rather complicated, but it mentions a diode laser
Which is also know as semi-conductor laser.

Which, I think, is a 99cents laser

So you shouldn't have any problem with that

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'm going to have to do some experimenting with the lasers and stuff but it should work out ok. I will post some pictures if everything goes ok.

The coherence area of the beam needs to be larger than the illuminated area- a raw diode laser beam will not work.

Focusing the laser (or any light source, really) onto a pinhole,collecting the transmitted light and illuminating your slits, OTOH, will work nicely.

Ahhhh, ok. That would work a bit better than trying to fashion something out of of a bunch of laser diodes.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern on a screen.

2. What is the purpose of conducting the double slit experiment?

The purpose of the double slit experiment is to explore the behavior of particles and light at a quantum level. It helps us understand the concept of wave-particle duality and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. How is the double slit experiment conducted?

The double slit experiment is conducted by setting up a light source, such as a laser, and directing it through two parallel slits onto a screen. The screen is placed behind the slits to capture the resulting pattern. The experiment can also be conducted with particles, such as electrons, by using a specialized apparatus.

4. What are the possible outcomes of the double slit experiment?

The possible outcomes of the double slit experiment depend on whether the particles or light are observed or not. If observed, the particles will behave like particles and create a pattern of two distinct lines on the screen. If not observed, the particles will behave like waves and create an interference pattern of multiple lines on the screen.

5. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of particles at a quantum level. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as the electron microscope, which utilize the wave-like properties of particles. Additionally, it has sparked further research and exploration into the mysterious realm of quantum mechanics.