Mystery Number (Algebra?)

In summary, the greatest possible value for one of the positive integers is 15, and it can be achieved by having a list of {1,1,2,2,3,3,4,15} with a sum of 31. Non-whole numbers are not allowed in this problem.
LLS

Homework Statement

The sum of 8 positive integers is 31. If no individual integer value can appear more than twice in the list of 8 integers, what is the greatest possible value that one of the integers can have?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 16. I did a lot of calculating; a lot of trial and error.

I doubled 3 of the lowest possible numbers, which totaled 6. I used 6 numbers; there are 2 left.

0+0=0
1+1=2
2+2=4

16+6=22 (7 numbers have been used)

22+9=31 (all 8 numbers have been used)

17 would be too high, even if the lowest possible numbers are used. 16 is the highest possible number.

How do I formulate the equation to solve this problem?

Is 16 the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic gets a little confusing but doubling the lowest numbers sounds like a good start. What is your final set of 8 numbers? Before you answer make sure it doesn't have 0 in it. 0 isn't positive.

Dick said:
Your logic gets a little confusing but doubling the lowest numbers sounds like a good start. What is your final set of 8 numbers? Before you answer make sure it doesn't have 0 in it. 0 isn't positive.

Ouch-I counted 0 as positive. My final sets are:

1+1=2
2+2=4
3+3=6
4+4=8

Total = 20

15 is too high
14 is too high
13 is too high
12 is too high

11 would work, but that leaves 1 number short

can't be 10 (used 1), 9 (used 2), 8 (used 3)

7 would be the highest

If that's right, what's the equation?

And thanks!

You are confusing me again. Using your logic I would write the list of numbers as {1,1,2,2,3,3,4,x}, picking the first seven numbers to be as small as possible, so the last can be as large as possible. What's x if the sum is 31? It's really not worth writing an equation for this, it's more of a logic problem.

Dick said:
You are confusing me again. Using your logic I would write the list of numbers as {1,1,2,2,3,3,4,x}, picking the first seven numbers to be as small as possible, so the last can be as large as possible. What's x if the sum is 31? It's really not worth writing an equation for this, it's more of a logic problem.

I'm confused now-sorry

If I add 1+1+2+2+3+3+4+x, it totals 16 - Those numbers are the lowest possible choices.

16+x=31

The largest number would then be 15, if the above equation is correct.

Is 15 the correct choice?

{1,1,2,2,3,3,4,15} does add up to 31. And every number is positive and none are repeated more that twice. Can you think of a way to pick 8 numbers that might have a larger max? Do YOU think it's correct? My opinion doesn't count.

Dick said:
{1,1,2,2,3,3,4,15} does add up to 31. And every number is positive and none are repeated more that twice. Can you think of a way to pick 8 numbers that might have a larger max? Do YOU think it's correct? My opinion doesn't count.

"Can you think of a way to pick 8 numbers that might have a larger max?"

I guess that the numbers don't have to be whole numbers. If that is what's true, I am really lost as to how to solve this problem.

Going by the numbers above, 15 would be the largest. If non whole numbers are are possible, I really need help.

Thank you

Non-whole numbers aren't integers. You are done. It's 15.

1. What is a mystery number in algebra?

A mystery number in algebra is a variable that represents an unknown quantity. It is usually represented by a letter or symbol and can take on different values depending on the context of the problem.

2. How do I solve for a mystery number?

To solve for a mystery number, you will need to use algebraic equations and rules to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This will give you the value of the mystery number.

3. Can a mystery number be negative?

Yes, a mystery number can be negative. In algebra, a negative number is represented by a minus sign (-) in front of the number or variable. This indicates that the value of the mystery number is less than zero.

4. What is the difference between a constant and a mystery number?

A constant is a fixed value that does not change, while a mystery number is a variable that can take on different values. In algebra, constants are usually represented by numbers, while mystery numbers are represented by letters or symbols.

5. How can I use a mystery number to solve real-world problems?

Mystery numbers are commonly used in algebra to represent unknown quantities in real-world situations. By assigning a mystery number to a problem, you can create an equation and solve for the value of the unknown quantity, making it easier to solve real-world problems involving unknown values.