How Does a Climber Use Friction to Stay Stationary?

In summary, the climber must exert a minimum normal force of 735 N in order to stay in place while being supported by friction forces in a "chimney". This is determined by setting the frictional force equal to the force due to gravity and solving for the normal force.
WoArt

Homework Statement

A 75kg climber is supported in a "chimney" by the friction forces exerted on his shoes and back. The static coefficients of friction between his shoes and the wall, and between his back and the wall, are .8 and .6, respectively. what is the minimum normal force he must exert? Assume the walls are verticle and that friction forces are both a maximum.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This one confuses me. If the climber is to stay in place, its the lower static friction coefficient that matters, isn't it? That being the case, in order to stay in place acceleration must be zero so Ff + Fmg = 0? Working that out though gives .6Fn + 75*9.8 = 0, which comes out to 735, which seems too high.

I have to assume I am completely missing something, can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
in order for the climber to stay in place, the frictional force must at least be equal to the force due to gravity. If you write out all the forces (best way to start EVERY problem), you will see that F_g is aimed down, F_f is aimed upward, So, using F_f=F_g and solving for N gives the minimum normal force needed.

remember that since the climbers shoes and back are touching in different places there is more than one F_f to consider

Yea, that's what I thought I was doing with f_f+f_mg=0. F_f being a function of F_n * .6 (friction coefficient). F_n is equal and opposite the force of the climber's push, right? Doesn't that give you .6Fn + 75kg *9.8 = 0?

1) What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. His second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Finally, his third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2) How do Newton's laws of motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion can be observed in many everyday situations, such as a ball rolling down a hill (demonstrating the first law of motion), a car accelerating when the gas pedal is pressed (demonstrating the second law of motion), and a rocket launching into space (demonstrating the third law of motion).

3) What is the significance of Newton's laws of motion in the field of physics?

Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles in the field of physics and are used to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. They also serve as the foundation for more advanced concepts such as momentum, energy, and gravity.

4) Can Newton's laws of motion be broken?

No, Newton's laws of motion are fundamental laws of nature and have been extensively tested and proven through experiments. They accurately describe the motion of objects in our everyday lives and in the universe.

5) Are there any limitations to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are accurate for most everyday situations, but they do have limitations. For example, they do not fully apply to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or to objects on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles, where quantum mechanics comes into play.