Difference between Perfect Diamagnetism and Superconductors

In summary, Perfect diamagnetism and superconductors both exhibit the Meissner Effect under low temperatures, where they exclude any external magnetic field passing through them. This is due to the association of diamagnetism with lone pairs of electrons and superconductivity with cooper pairs. The Meissner Effect can be derived through the London equation, but can also be explained conceptually through hand-waving arguments and vague analogies.
Hells_Kitchen
Could someone please explain the difference between Perfect Diamagnetism and Superconductors in terms of the Meissner Effect and the magnetic field passing through an element of the sort.

Under low temperatures in perfect diamagnetic materials if there is a magnetic field it remains the same even when the resistance becomes 0 while for superconductors under low temperatures when they reach the superconducting point (low enough temp.) they exclude any external magnetic field that might be passing through them. Why is this the case? I know this is explained through the Meissner Effect but I do not really understand the concept and theory behind it.

Thanks,
HK

Physics news on Phys.org

diamagnetic materials exclude magnetic fields from there interiors just as paramagnetic materials attract them. diamagnetism is associated with lone pairs of electrons just as superconductivity is associated with cooper pairs.

Thanks for your answer but could you elaborate a little more on perfect diamagnetism and the Meissner effect for superconductors.

Thanks,
HK

That seems like a very nice and elegant proof, however, I would appreciate a conceptual description (or hand-waving argument like you said) since this is a presantation topic for my E&M physics course.

Thanks,
HK

Hells_Kitchen said:
That seems like a very nice and elegant proof, however, I would appreciate a conceptual description (or hand-waving argument like you said) since this is a presantation topic for my E&M physics course.

Thanks,
HK

Then put the mathematics into words, introduce a few vague analogies, and viola! You have a hand-waving argument.

Zz.

1. What is the main difference between perfect diamagnetism and superconductivity?

The main difference between perfect diamagnetism and superconductivity is that perfect diamagnetism refers to the property of a material where it exhibits a weak repulsion when placed in an external magnetic field, while superconductivity is the complete absence of electrical resistance in a material when it is cooled below a certain critical temperature.

2. What causes the perfect diamagnetism effect in materials?

The perfect diamagnetism effect in materials is caused by the alignment of the electrons in the material's atoms in opposition to the external magnetic field. This creates a weak repulsion force that counteracts the magnetic field.

3. How is the perfect diamagnetism effect different from paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

The perfect diamagnetism effect is different from paramagnetism and ferromagnetism because it does not involve the alignment of magnetic dipoles in the material. In paramagnetism, the dipoles align in the same direction as the external magnetic field, while in ferromagnetism, the dipoles align to create a strong attraction to the magnetic field.

4. What are superconductors and how do they work?

Superconductors are materials that, when cooled below a critical temperature, exhibit zero electrical resistance and perfect diamagnetism. This is due to the formation of Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons that move through the material without any resistance, producing a perfect diamagnetism effect.

5. What are some practical applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of practical applications, such as in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission lines. They are also used in high-speed trains, levitating trains, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Superconductors also have potential applications in quantum computing and energy storage.