Calculating Force for Woodworking Router Projects

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with calculating the force required to push a wood working router through material for a project. The topic can be found in machining theory textbooks, which will provide information on calculating cutting force, feed speeds, and power consumption. The person also suggests treating it as a milling operation for more general cases.
jwest22
hi, I have this problem that I have no idea how to solve, I’m trying to do some calculations for a project, so, does anyone have any ideas what calculations you might use to work out what force is required to push a wood working router through material, I want to apply these calculations to many different routers so I suppose the wattage or rpm isn’t important?

Any suggestions, thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have some great lecture notes on this topic, but haven't got them to hand. Pick up any basic machining theory textbook and this will define all the info you need, such as how to calculate cutting force, feed speeds, power consumed etc. If you treat this as a milling operation (rather than routing wood) then you'll get more general cases.

1. How do I calculate the force needed for a woodworking router project?

To calculate the force for a woodworking router project, you need to determine the cutting force, which is the force required to cut through the wood. This can be calculated by multiplying the cutting speed (in feet per minute) by the chip load (in inches per tooth) and the specific cutting resistance (in pounds per square inch).

2. What is the cutting speed in woodworking router projects?

The cutting speed is the speed at which the router bit is moving through the wood. It is typically measured in feet per minute (ft/min). The cutting speed is influenced by the type of wood, router bit size, and router speed. It is important to choose the appropriate cutting speed for your project to ensure clean and efficient cuts.

3. How do I determine the chip load for a woodworking router project?

The chip load is the thickness of the chip (or shaving) that is being removed by the router bit with each revolution. It can be calculated by dividing the cutting speed by the number of cutting edges on the router bit. The chip load is typically measured in inches per tooth (ipt) and can vary depending on the type of wood and router bit being used.

4. What is specific cutting resistance in woodworking router projects?

Specific cutting resistance is the amount of force required to cut through a specific type of wood. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) and can vary depending on the type of wood and the sharpness of the router bit. It is important to choose the appropriate cutting resistance for your project to ensure clean and efficient cuts.

5. How does the router speed affect the force needed for a woodworking router project?

The router speed is the rotational speed of the router bit. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (rpm). The faster the router speed, the higher the cutting speed and the force needed to cut through the wood. It is important to choose the appropriate router speed for your project to ensure clean and efficient cuts without putting too much strain on the router bit.