Gaussian Beam focused using a lens

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the waist at the focus of a Gaussian beam that has passed through a lens. The formula w(z)=(lambda*z)/(pi*w0) can be used for an approximation, but only if z >> pi(w0)/lambda. For a more general result, the "q parameter" and ABCD matrices can be used to calculate the beam parameters at any distance z.
Nanxie

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm really confused about this one, =(
Suppose I have a guassian beam that is colliminated (beam expanded) and then suppose i let it passed through a lens to focus it.

Given an initial waist and focal length of the lens. How can i find the waist (or half width) at the focus?

Homework Equations

a9bf8aaee5363251de92ac36daffef3d.png

a3a76eb12dd62a821aa8c00723c30cdc.png

The Attempt at a Solution

There's an approximation using the formula above

w(z)=(lambda*z)/(pi*w0)

where w0 is the waist at focus and z is the distance from it, so if i let z=f i can solve for w0
but this only works if z >> pi(w0)/lambda

how about for the case when z is small (or the focal length is small), i can't seem to solve it using the above equations.

Thanks~ ^^;

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! :smile:

Sorry about the late reply, don't know how I missed your question earlier.

There's another equation for the angle of a Gaussian beam, given it's wavelength and waist size (at the focus). You can use that, as long as the focal length is much much longer than ZR -- and you can verify if that's true after you have found wo at the focus.

EDIT: Oh, I see you want a more general result, one that does not assume f>>ZR . Hang on while I check in my old Lasers textbook ... I'll post back soon

EDIT #2: Okay. What you want is to look up the "q parameter" for Gaussian beams, and how ABCD matrices can be used in calculating Gaussian beam propagation. Do you have a textbook that discusses these in detail?

Last edited:
looked up the 'q parameter' and you're right~
Just need the Matrix ABCD to calculate the beam parameters at any z.

thank you! ^^

1. What is a Gaussian beam focused using a lens?

A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a Gaussian intensity profile, meaning that the intensity of the beam is highest at the center and decreases gradually towards the edges. Focusing this beam using a lens allows for precise control and manipulation of the beam's shape and direction.

2. How does a lens affect the properties of a Gaussian beam?

A lens can change the size, shape, and direction of a Gaussian beam. When the beam passes through a lens, the lens acts as a converging or diverging element, depending on its curvature and distance from the beam. This results in a focused beam with altered properties.

3. What is the benefit of using a Gaussian beam focused with a lens?

Focusing a Gaussian beam allows for increased precision in applications such as laser cutting, welding, and microscopy. The use of a lens allows for control over the beam's shape and direction, making it useful in a wide range of scientific and industrial fields.

4. How is the focal length of a lens related to the focused Gaussian beam?

The focal length of a lens is the distance from the lens to the point where the beam is most focused. A shorter focal length will result in a more tightly focused beam, while a longer focal length will result in a less tightly focused beam.

5. Can a Gaussian beam be focused without a lens?

Yes, a Gaussian beam can be focused without a lens by using other methods such as diffraction gratings, mirrors, or optical fibers. However, using a lens is the most common and efficient way to focus a Gaussian beam.