Calculate Input/Output Torque & Angular Torque: 2-Stage Gearbox

In summary, the conversation was about finding input torque, output torque, and input torque (omega) for a 2-stage gearbox. The data given included input and output RPM, gear ratios, and power. The equations used were (63025 * H.P) / R.P.M = T to find torque, and V(omega) = R.P.M * 2pi/60 to find angular velocity. The student was initially confused but eventually found the correct torque values after realizing a mistake in the units used.
herpamad

Homework Statement

Need to find input torque, output torque and input torque (omega) all NM

Data i have is

Input RPM = 9700
Output RPM = 1950

GEAR 1 = 12, 2 = 40, 3=30, 4=20 (Radius) with module 2 (x 2 for diameter)

Power = 2.3Kw

Homework Equations

Turn power to H.P giving 3.083 H.P

Use

(63025 * H.P) / R.P.M = T

T = 20.1Nm

Ang Velocity

V(omega)input = R.P.M in * 2pi/60 = rad/s

V(omega)output = R.P.M out * 2pi/60 = rad/s

Input Rad Torque

T(omega) in = V(omega)in * Torque

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say the torque is 20.1Nm

I am getting confused with these torques,

Situation is a 2 stage gearbox, and torques need to be found, including angular torque, but can't seem to find the formulas i really need.

Pretty simple i am sure, but its not clicking for me right now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have talked about this one before, Herpamad. Why do you continue to post it?

Because i doubt myself too much.

I got units confused and needed to know where i was going wrong very quick.

Turned out that the example i followed has used the wrong output units.

They said Nm where as it should have been Ft Ib.

Sorry.

1. What is input torque and how is it calculated in a 2-stage gearbox?

Input torque is the amount of force or rotational power applied to the gearbox through the input shaft. It is calculated by multiplying the input force by the input radius, or the distance from the center of the input shaft to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is output torque calculated in a 2-stage gearbox?

Output torque is the amount of force or rotational power that is delivered by the gearbox through the output shaft. It is calculated by multiplying the input torque by the gear ratio, which is the ratio of the number of teeth on the input and output gears.

3. What is angular torque and how is it different from linear torque?

Angular torque is the measure of rotational force, while linear torque is the measure of linear force. In a 2-stage gearbox, angular torque is the product of the input force and the input radius, while linear torque is the product of the input force and the distance from the center of the input shaft to the point where the force is applied.

4. How does the gear ratio affect the input and output torque in a 2-stage gearbox?

The gear ratio determines the relationship between the input and output torque in a 2-stage gearbox. A higher gear ratio means that the output torque will be greater than the input torque, while a lower gear ratio will result in a smaller output torque compared to the input torque.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculated input/output torque in a 2-stage gearbox?

The accuracy of calculated input/output torque can be affected by various factors such as friction, wear and tear of gears, and external forces acting on the gearbox. Additionally, the precision of the measurements used to calculate torque can also impact the accuracy of the results.