How to tell Universities that I will not be attending there?

• Schools
  • Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, some schools have large penalty fees if you reject the offer, so it's best to apply to only a few schools.
RiseAgainst
I have decided to not attended three of the Universities that I applied to. How can I tell them that I have to decided to enroll at another school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just tell them "It's not you, it's me."

Are you sure you don't want to go to those schools?

Some schools have large penalty fees if you reject the offer. I had to pay $2000 for one school. That's why it's best to apply to only a few schools.

JasonRox said:

Some schools have large penalty fees if you reject the offer. I had to pay $2000 for one school. That's why it's best to apply to only a few schools.

I would've told them to pry the money from my cold dead hands. Was it a contractual obligation?

JasonRox said:

Err, are you serious?

I think the answer to this depends on what level you're talking about: graduate or undergraduate. At the undergraduate level, in my experience, the letter of offer comes with a form where you either tick () accept, or () decline. At the graduate level, you can send a polite email to the associate chair of the department and/or the office of graduate studies (usually to whomever offered you admission in the first place) and inform them you are going to decline the offer. It is ideal if you can do this as soon as you have made your decision, as the school may have other students on a waiting list.

I have never heard of a school charging money for a rejected offer. Many schools have a non-refundable application fee (maybe up to a few hundred dollars), but $2000.00 seems very high.

There is always the classic

Pennsylvania State University Admissions Address

Dear Sir,

I have received your acceptance for admission, and I regret to inform you that I will not be attending your university in coming years.

As a senior in high school, I have applied to many other fine institutions to further my education. And, although yours ranks high among them, I'm afraid that you failed to qualify.

Elimination under my system doesn't mean that you are not qualified to educate other fine young men and women. It merely reflects the high caliber of colleges and universities competing for my acceptance.

My best wishes for your future.

Brian Jay Gould

Choppy said:
I have never heard of a school charging money for a rejected offer.

Neither have I. I have heard of schools charging if someone accepts and then later declines. (Particularly if student housing is involved).

I sent emails to the offices of admission for each school.

Obviously I'm joking.

I just don't respond. It's undergraduate. Who cares... thousands are going reject. It's not like you're the only one.

For graduate school, it's a different story. I only applied to one school in that case. I will only apply to one school for my Ph.D also.

1. How do I inform a university that I will not be attending?

You can inform a university that you will not be attending by sending an email or letter to the admissions office. Be sure to clearly state your decision and provide a reason, if possible. It is also recommended to follow up with a phone call or additional communication to ensure the information is received.

2. When should I inform a university that I will not be attending?

It is best to inform a university as soon as you have made your decision. This allows the university to offer your spot to another deserving student and also shows respect for the admissions process.

3. Do I have to provide a reason for not attending a university?

No, you are not required to provide a reason for not attending a university. However, if you have a specific reason such as financial or personal circumstances, it may be helpful to inform the admissions office. This can also help the university improve their processes for future students.

4. Will not attending a university affect my future applications?

No, not attending a university will not affect your future applications. However, it is important to communicate your decision and reasons for not attending in a professional manner. This can help maintain a positive professional relationship with the university for potential future opportunities.

5. Can I change my mind after informing a university that I will not be attending?

Yes, you can change your mind after informing a university that you will not be attending. If you have a change of heart, it is recommended to contact the admissions office as soon as possible to discuss your options. Keep in mind that the university may have already offered your spot to another student, so there is no guarantee that they will be able to accommodate your change of plans.