Orthogonality of Matsubara Plane Waves

In summary, thermal field theory defines the Matsubara frequencies as 2n\pi/\beta for bosons and (2n+1)\pi/\beta for fermions. The orthogonality relation for bosons is obtained using the standard formula for the geometric series. However, for fermions, I obtain the same result using the Kronecker delta.
leastaction
Hi there!

In thermal field theory, the Matsubara frequencies are defined by [itex]\nu_n = \frac{2n\pi}{\beta}[/itex] for bosons and [itex]\omega_n = \frac{(2n+1)\pi}{\beta}[/itex] for fermions. Assuming discrete imaginary time with time indices [itex]k=0,\hdots,N[/itex], it is easy to obtain the following orthogonality relation for bosons, just by using the standard formula for the geometric series ([itex]\beta[/itex] is the inverse temperature),

[tex]\frac{\beta}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \frac{\beta}{N} (\nu_n+\nu_m)k} = \begin{cases} \frac{\beta}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} 1 = \beta & \mathrm{for}\ n=-m \\ \frac{1-\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \beta (\nu_n+\nu_m)}}{1-\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \frac{\beta}{N} (\nu_n+\nu_m)}} = 0 & \mathrm{for}\ n\neq -m \end{cases} = \beta\delta_{n,-m}[/tex]

The second line holds because [itex]\beta (\nu_n+\nu_m)[/itex] is an integer multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] and thus the numerator vanishes. But in the case of fermions, I obtain

[tex]\frac{\beta}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \frac{\beta}{N} (\omega_n+\omega_m)k} = \begin{cases} \frac{\beta}{N} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} 1 = \beta & \mathrm{for}\ n=-(m+1) \\ \frac{1-\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \beta (\omega_n+\omega_m)}}{1-\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\frac{\beta}{N} (\omega_n+\omega_m)}} = 0 & \mathrm{for}\ n \neq -(m+1)} \end{cases} = \beta\delta_{n,-(m+1)}[/tex]

Is this true? The Kronecker delta with [itex]n,-(m+1)[/itex] looks rather strange!

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that strange, but it's a consequence of writing your exponential with a sum of frequencies instead of a difference. Consider the values around n = 0, [tex]\omega_{-1} = -T\pi[/tex], [tex]\omega_0 = T\pi[/tex], so for your orthogonality to hold, you need n = 0, m = -1, or n = -1, m = 0. If you choose to write the orthogonality with a difference, you should get n = m in both cases.

Thanks very much! I ask because I've encountered a sum of the above type (with a plus sign) while computing a two-point Green's function and I was wondering if the energy/frequency was conserved...

1. What is the concept of "Orthogonality of Matsubara Plane Waves"?

The orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves is a mathematical property of the functions used to represent thermal equilibrium in quantum statistical mechanics. It states that the inner product of two different Matsubara plane waves is equal to zero, meaning they are perpendicular to each other in the complex plane.

2. How is the orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves related to thermal equilibrium?

In quantum statistical mechanics, thermal equilibrium is described by a set of orthogonal functions known as Matsubara plane waves. These waves represent different energy states of a system at a specific temperature. The orthogonality of these waves is essential for accurately describing the statistical properties of the system in thermal equilibrium.

3. Why is the orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves important in quantum statistical mechanics?

The orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves is crucial in quantum statistical mechanics because it allows for the accurate calculation of thermodynamic properties of a system in thermal equilibrium. This property simplifies the complex mathematical equations used in this field and makes it easier to analyze and predict the behavior of quantum systems at different temperatures.

4. How is the orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves different from the orthogonality of regular plane waves?

The orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves is unique because it is defined in the complex plane rather than the real plane. This means that the inner product of two different Matsubara plane waves is a complex number, whereas the inner product of two regular plane waves is a real number. Additionally, the orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves is specific to thermal equilibrium systems, while the orthogonality of regular plane waves is a more general mathematical concept.

5. How is the orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves used in practical applications?

The orthogonality of Matsubara plane waves is used in various practical applications, including the calculation of thermodynamic properties of materials, such as specific heat and magnetic susceptibility. It is also used in condensed matter physics, specifically in the study of quantum phase transitions. Additionally, this property is essential in the development of new quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum communication systems.