10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display cant find documentation

• Thread starter JCoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dual Pin
In summary, the conversation revolves around the discovery and retrieval of a dual 7 segment display from an old device called the "Singing Machine." The individual is seeking help in identifying the pins of the display and how to control each screen individually. The discussion includes suggestions on how to determine the pin configuration and possible solutions for driving the display. Additionally, resources are provided for further assistance.
JCoder
Hey Guys,

So I was scrapping parts from an ancient present I found up in the attic called the "Singing Machine". Point is I managed to retrieve a dual 7 segment display. The only documentation I can find online is for 14 pin versions of these things. Strangely this only has 10 pins and I can assure you none broke off. Anyone have any idea what these pins match to?

Engineering news on Phys.org
JCoder said:
Hey Guys,

So I was scrapping parts from an ancient present I found up in the attic called the "Singing Machine". Point is I managed to retrieve a dual 7 segment display. The only documentation I can find online is for 14 pin versions of these things. Strangely this only has 10 pins and I can assure you none broke off. Anyone have any idea what these pins match to?

It should be pretty simple to figure out. Put a 10K resistor on a 5-15V power supply, then in a darkened room touch the leads to different pairs of pins. Once you know what's what, crank the current up for reasonable brightness.

I kinda expected to get that answer. I have been playing around with the pins for about 2 hours now but most of them seem to be multiplexed.

Can you post a picture? Are there any markings on it?

Picture is attached

Attachments

• 10pindual7segment.jpg
    10pindual7segment.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 765
Interesting. Googling the part number doesn't turn up anything helpful (but you knew that already). To drive two sets of seven segments takes at least 9 pins if you share the segments and just have two different common cathodes or common anodes per digit.

You said you did some beeping -- were you able to identify a CC or CA or two?

The strange thing is this was used for a track number display for a CD so both 7 seg's must have been controlled differently. Pin 7 when + turns on the right screen and Pin 8 + turns on the left screen. When both are + both screens go on. Whenever I change the other pins they change both screens so I am confused as to how to change each screen individually. Pin 2 when - is the d.p. Each Pin is an annode because it is only affected when in the - side. I believe I am describing this correctly. Sorry I am not very familiar with describing it other ways.

berkeman said:
Interesting. Googling the part number doesn't turn up anything helpful (but you knew that already). To drive two sets of seven segments takes at least 9 pins if you share the segments and just have two different common cathodes or common anodes per digit.
If I were designing this, I would use the 10 pins for Vcc, ground, and two BCD 1248 signals. The 4 line to 7 line decoders would be inside the chip.

JCoder said:
The strange thing is this was used for a track number display for a CD so both 7 seg's must have been controlled differently. Pin 7 when + turns on the right screen and Pin 8 + turns on the left screen. When both are + both screens go on. Whenever I change the other pins they change both screens so I am confused as to how to change each screen individually. Pin 2 when - is the d.p. Each Pin is an annode because it is only affected when in the - side. I believe I am describing this correctly. Sorry I am not very familiar with describing it other ways.

So it sounds like each digit is configured with a common cathode (- side), with the two CC pins providing multiplex access to the digits. Each of the pairs of 7 segments share an anode pin. So your drive circuit will need to drive the two digits in an alternating fashion, with each digit being on for 1/2 of the time. Drive them above the flicker fusion frequency of the human eye -- something like 50Hz should be fast enough, but you can experiment.

Berkeman, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help everyone.

1. What is a 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display?

A 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display is a type of electronic display commonly used to show numerical data. It consists of two 7-segment displays stacked on top of each other, with each segment being made up of seven LED lights. The 10 pins are used to control which segments are illuminated, allowing for the display of numbers 0-9.

2. How do I connect a 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display?

To connect a 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display, you will need to consult the documentation for your specific display. Generally, the display will have a common anode or cathode, and each segment will have a corresponding pin. You will need to connect the common pin to a power source and the segment pins to a microcontroller or other device to control which segments are illuminated.

3. What is the purpose of a 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display?

A 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display is commonly used to display numerical data in electronic devices such as calculators, clocks, and digital meters. They are also used in DIY projects and electronic prototyping for their simplicity and ease of use.

4. Where can I find documentation for a 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display?

Documentation for a 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or included with the product when purchased. If you are unable to find documentation, you can also consult online forums and communities for assistance from other users.

5. What should I do if I can't find documentation for my 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display?

If you are unable to find documentation for your 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Display, you can try contacting the manufacturer directly for support. You can also search for similar displays and use their documentation as a reference. Additionally, you can consult online resources and tutorials for general guidance on how to use and connect 10 Pin Dual 7 Segment Displays.