Electric Field of Nonuniform Line of Charge

In summary, we are given a thin rod with a line charge density that varies with distance along the rod. We are asked to find the electric field strength at a specific point using the integral equation for electric field. After setting up the integral, we use the hint to substitute u=x+L, making the integral easier to solve. However, we are unsure of the variables to use and the distance in the denominator. After attempting to solve the integral, we are still unsure of the correct solution.
soccerj17

Homework Statement

A thin rod extends along the x-axis from x=0 to x=L and carries a line charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex]*(x/L)[tex]^{2}[/tex], where [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] is a constant.

If L=0.19 m and [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] = 40[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m, find the electric field strength at the point x=-0.19 m. (Hint: the resulting integral is easily computed with the change of variable u=x+L.

Homework Equations

E=[tex]\int(kdq/r^2)[/tex]
dq=[tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex]*(x/L)[tex]^{2}[/tex]dl

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the line is positively charged, the electric field should point in the negative x direction at the point x=-0.19m and I need to use the integral equation for E. The integral I set up is E=[tex]\int(k\lambda_{0}(x/L)^2dx)/(x+L)^2[/tex] from x=0 to x=L. I'm not sure this integral is correct because I don't know how to solve it and the hint says that substituting u=x+L should make it easy to solve. The main things I'm unsure of in this equation is what variables to use. For instance, in the linear charge density, it seems like the x is the distance along the line and the L is the total length of the rod. So I would need to integrate with respect to x to get the full charge of the rod. But then I'm not sure what the "r^2" distance is in terms of the variables. It has to be x along the line plus however far away the point is away from the line, right? So what should the denominator be in the integral and how do I solve the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried plugging the numbers I knew into the integral and got
E=[tex]\int(\frac{k\lambda_{0}x^{2}dx}{0.0361(x+0.19)^{2}}[/tex] and taking the constants out of the equation I got E=[tex]\frac{k\lambda_{0}}{0.0361}[/tex][tex]\int\frac{x^{2}dx}{(x+0.19)^{2}}[/tex] with the limits of the integral being x=0 to x=L (or 0.19)
Does this integral seem right? Because I still don't know how to solve it.

I would like to clarify that the equation for electric field strength in this situation is E=\int(kdq/r^2), where dq is the small charge element along the length of the rod. In this case, dq=\lambda_{0}*(x/L)^{2}dl, where dl is a small length element along the rod.

To solve for the electric field at x=-0.19m, we can use the hint given and substitute u=x+L into the integral equation. This will give us E=\int(k\lambda_{0}(u/L)^2du)/u^2 from u=L to u=0.

To find the value of this integral, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus and evaluate the integral as E=(k\lambda_{0}/L^2)*[1/u] from u=L to u=0. Substituting in the values for L and \lambda_{0}, we get E=-(8.99*10^9)(40*10^-6)/(0.19)^2= -8.61*10^5 N/C.

Therefore, the electric field at x=-0.19m is -8.61*10^5 N/C, pointing in the negative x direction. This negative sign indicates that the electric field is indeed pointing towards the negatively charged point.

1. What is an electric field of a nonuniform line of charge?

The electric field of a nonuniform line of charge is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force per unit charge at any given point along the line. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field of a nonuniform line of charge calculated?

The electric field of a nonuniform line of charge is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

3. What factors can affect the electric field of a nonuniform line of charge?

The electric field of a nonuniform line of charge can be affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charge along the line, as well as the distance from the charge and the geometry of the surrounding space.

4. How does the electric field of a nonuniform line of charge change as you move along the line?

The electric field of a nonuniform line of charge can change as you move along the line depending on the distribution of charge and the distance from the charge. In general, the electric field is strongest closer to the charge and weaker further away.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field of a nonuniform line of charge?

The electric field of a nonuniform line of charge has various real-world applications, including in the design of electrical circuits, the operation of electronic devices, and the study of atmospheric phenomena such as lightning and thunderstorms.