Photon density in beam of light

In summary, according to the homework statement, the wavelength of red light emitted by a 5.00 mW helium-neon laser is 633 nm. If the diameter of the laser beam is 1.60 mm, the density of photons in the beam is 1.578e-21 photons/cubic meter.
w3390

Homework Statement

The wavelength of red light emitted by a 5.00 mW helium-neon laser is 633 nm. If the diameter of the laser beam is 1.60 mm, what is the density of photons in the beam? Assume that the intensity is uniformly distributed across the beam.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not even know where to start to attempt this problem because I cannot find a formula that looks helpful for this. Any input on what formula I should use or what approach to take would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A 5 mW laser puts out 5 mJ worth of energy per second. If you find the energy of one photon, you can find how many photons per second the laser puts out. This should get you started.

Okay, so I calculated that the energy of one photon is 3.1403e-19 J. So I divided 5mW by 3.1403e-19 J and got 1.578e-21 photons/second. Now to get to photons/cubic meter, I need to get the volume of the path of light. Since I am given the diameter of the light, I can multiply the area of the circle by the length of a piece of the light. However, what do I use as the length to get cubic meters?

Your number 1.578x10-21 is incorrect. Check your powers of 10.

Assume the correct number of photons per second is N. Then you have N photons in the volume of cylinder whose diameter you have. What is the height of the cylinder? One end (at the laser) has all the photons that were emitted at the end of the the 1-second interval. The other end of the cylinder has all the photons that were emitted at the beginning of the 1-second interval. So the height of the cylinder is ...

Last edited:
So I think I found the calculation error in the photons per second. Now I have that there are 1.5922e16 photons/second. Also, since a photon travels at 3e8 m/s, I would multiply the area of the circle (pi*d) by 3e8m to get my volume? However, when I did this, I got 1.056e10 photons/cubic meter and my homework says this is wrong. Any suggestions?

The area of a circle is not πd. That's the circumference. What is the area of a circle?

Wow. That was embarrassing. I'm sorry you had to see that. Thanks for your help.

What is photon density in a beam of light?

Photon density in a beam of light refers to the number of photons present in a given area within the beam. It is a measure of the concentration of photons in the light beam.

How is photon density calculated?

Photon density can be calculated by dividing the total number of photons in the beam by the area of the beam. This gives the average number of photons per unit area.

What factors can affect photon density in a beam of light?

The photon density in a beam of light can be affected by the intensity of the light source, the wavelength of the light, and any obstacles or filters in the path of the beam. Additionally, the distance from the source and the angle of the beam can also impact photon density.

How does photon density relate to the brightness of a light beam?

Photon density is directly related to the brightness of a light beam. The higher the photon density, the brighter the beam will appear. This is because a higher concentration of photons means more energy is being emitted in a given area.

Why is photon density important in certain applications, such as lasers?

In applications such as lasers, photon density is important because it determines the power and strength of the beam. A higher photon density in a laser beam means it has a higher intensity and can be used for more powerful and precise applications, such as cutting or welding.