Electric Potential Normalization

In summary, my professor said that we can find the normalization constant for an infinite parallel-piped potential by integrating over dy' and dz' and taking the square root of the result. However, if we omit the \eta terms, we find that the normalization constant is equal to 4.
makhoma
I was in my Electrodynamics lecture last week, still working the Laplacian and Poisson equations, when we discussed an infinite parallelpipid (infinite in the [tex]x[/tex] direction, length [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] in the [tex]y[/tex] and [tex]z[/tex] direction respectively) with a potential of [tex]\Phi=\Phi_0[/tex] at [tex]x=0[/tex] plane and every other face having [tex]\Phi=0[/tex]. Here he said that, due to boundary conditions we should expect the potential to have the form

[tex]
\Phi(x,y,z)=\sum_{n_{y},n_{z}}A_{n_{y}n_{z}}\eta_{n_{y}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{y}\pi y}{a}\right]\eta_{n_{z}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{z}\pi z}{b}\right]\exp\left[-\pi\sqrt{\frac{n_{y}^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{n_{z}^{2}}{b^{2}}}x\right]
[/tex]

where [tex]\eta[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] are both normalization constants. I agree with this form (not sure about the normalization constants, but that's the question to come). We let the eta's equal [tex]\sqrt{2/a}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{2/b}[/tex] in order to coincide with QM. In looking at the case [tex]x=0[/tex], we find

[tex]
\Phi_{0}=\sum_{n_{y}n_{z}}A_{n_{y}n_{z}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{y}\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{z}\pi z}{b}\right]
[/tex]

Then multiply both sides by

[tex]
\sum_{n_{y}'n_{z}'}A_{n_{y}'n_{z}'}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{y}'\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{z}^{'}\pi z}{b}\right]
[/tex]

Which after integrating over [tex]dy'[/tex] and [tex]dz'[/tex] from [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]b[/tex], respectively, we find that [tex]n_y,n_z[/tex] must be odd integers. So then the normalization constant is found to be

[tex]
A_{n_{y}'n_{z}'}=\frac{8\Phi_{0}\sqrt{ab}}{n_{y}'n_{z}'\pi^{2}}
[/tex]

All of this makes sense and does work out mathematically. The trouble I find is that my professor said we could do this without having the [tex]\eta[/tex] terms in there, that [tex]A[/tex] would absorb it and we should still come out with the same answer. But following the same math as above, and removing the [tex]\eta[/tex] normalizations, I find the normalization constant to be

[tex]
A_{n_{y}',n_{z}'}=\frac{4\Phi_{0}ab}{n_{y}'n_{z}'\pi^{2}}
[/tex]

My question is two-fold:
(1) Is my professor wrong and we should not expect the same normalization constant between the two (my answer is off by the factor [tex]2/\sqrt{ab}[/tex]?
(2) Is my professor right, and I screwed up somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found an error in what my professor did in class. We have a line that reads

[tex]
\int_0^ady\int_0^bdz\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_y'\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_z'\pi z}{b}\right]\Phi_0=A_{n_y'n_z'}
[/tex]

And it should read

[tex]
\int_0^ady\int_0^bdz\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_y'\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_z'\pi z}{b}\right]\Phi_0=\frac{2}{\sqrt{ab}}A_{n_y'n_z'}
[/tex]

This makes the normalization constant [tex]A_{n_y'n_z'}[/tex] equal to what I get:

[tex]
A_{n_y'n_z'}=\frac{4\Phi_0ab}{n_y'n_z'\pi^2}
[/tex]

Guess the professor forgot to carry some factors from one line to the next. Thanks for your help anyway!

I would first like to commend you for your thorough and thoughtful analysis of the problem at hand. It is clear that you have a strong understanding of the material and are actively engaged in your studies.

To answer your first question, it is possible that your professor misspoke or made a mistake in saying that the normalization constants would absorb the \eta terms. It is also possible that there may be a misunderstanding or miscommunication between you and your professor. I recommend discussing this with them to clarify their statement and see if they can provide further explanation or reasoning for their assertion.

To address your second question, it is always possible that a mistake was made in your calculations. However, based on your thorough analysis and the fact that your answer is off by a factor of 2/\sqrt{ab}, it is more likely that there is a discrepancy in your professor's statement. I encourage you to discuss this with them and potentially seek clarification or further explanation on the matter.

In conclusion, it is important to always question and analyze information presented to you, especially in the realm of science. Your critical thinking and attention to detail are valuable skills that will serve you well in your scientific pursuits. I encourage you to continue seeking clarification and understanding in this and other topics, and to always approach new information with a critical and curious mindset.

What is electric potential normalization?

Electric potential normalization is a method used in electrical engineering and physics to standardize the measurements of electric potential. It involves dividing the measured potential by a reference potential, such as the potential at infinity.

Why is electric potential normalization important?

Electric potential normalization allows for more accurate and meaningful comparisons of electric potential measurements. It also simplifies calculations and removes the influence of external factors, such as the distance between two points.

How is electric potential normalization calculated?

The electric potential normalization factor is calculated by dividing the measured potential by the reference potential. This results in a dimensionless quantity known as the normalized potential.

What are the benefits of using electric potential normalization?

Using electric potential normalization can help identify trends and patterns in electric potential data, as well as make it easier to compare data from different sources. It also allows for more precise calculations and removes the effects of external factors on potential measurements.

Are there any limitations to electric potential normalization?

Electric potential normalization is most effective when the reference potential is well-defined and consistent. In some cases, finding a suitable reference potential may be difficult, which can limit the applicability of this method.