2 dimensional motion problem

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the bullet travels 3.26m horizontally when it is shot from a slide that is moving at a constant speed of 2m/s and is 30 degrees off the ground.
demonelite123
you are sliding down a slide at constant speed of 2m/s. the angle the slide makes with the ground is 30 degrees. At some point while you are sliding down, you shoot a gun and the bullet travels horizontally at the constant speed of 5m/s. at that time, you are also 3m above the ground. How far does the bullet go? (what is the bullets horizontal distance traveled?)

based on how i drew my diagram, i drew a triangle so that i am sliding down to the right. so the triangle has its hypotenuse facing the right side.

so i did 5<1,0> + 2(cos150, sin150> = <3.26, 1>
then i did -3 = t - 4.9t^2

i used quadratic equation, solved for t, and got t=.687. then i plugged t into the equation delta x = 3.26t so the distance the bullet traveled is around 2.24m. i tried using cos30 and sin30 instead and i got 4.63m. which is the correct answer? and how do you know which angle to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is wrong, because when the bullet is fired its velocity in the downward direction is zero.
When the gun is fired, it was moving down with a uniform velocity. So its horizontal component will add up to the velocity of the bullet.

rl.bhat said:
This is wrong, because when the bullet is fired its velocity in the downward direction is zero.
When the gun is fired, it was moving down with a uniform velocity. So its horizontal component will add up to the velocity of the bullet.

-3 = t - 4.9t^2 is the equation for the y components of the bullet vector and the vector of the person sliding down the slide. since the person is shooting the gun while going down the slide, doesn't the bullet get a vertical velocity and a horizontal velocity and not just horizontal?

the vector with magnitude two, can be separated in two vectors

2 cos 30' for the y component = 1,73
2 sin 30' for the x component = 1 ((1^2 + 1,73^2) ^ (1/2) = 2)

so the total y component of the bullet is 1,73+ 5 = 6.73m/s

it takes 3 seconds for the x-component to equal 3 so it has 3 seconds to travel

3*6.73 = 18 + 2,19 = 20,19 mor when the bullet just has a velocity of 5m/s it travels only 15m. it's not really clear if the 5m/s velocity is it relative velocity or total.

latrocinia said:
the vector with magnitude two, can be separated in two vectors

2 cos 30' for the y component = 1,73
2 sin 30' for the x component = 1 ((1^2 + 1,73^2) ^ (1/2) = 2)

so the total y component of the bullet is 1,73+ 5 = 6.73m/s

it takes 3 seconds for the x-component to equal 3 so it has 3 seconds to travel

3*6.73 = 18 + 2,19 = 20,19 m

or when the bullet just has a velocity of 5m/s it travels only 15m. it's not really clear if the 5m/s velocity is it relative velocity or total.

how come you used cos and sin 30 and not 150? does it matter which angle you use?

1. What is 2 dimensional motion?

2 dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two different directions, typically represented by the x and y axes on a graph. This type of motion can occur in various scenarios, such as projectile motion or circular motion.

2. How is 2 dimensional motion different from 1 dimensional motion?

In 1 dimensional motion, an object only moves along one direction, whereas in 2 dimensional motion, an object can move in two different directions at the same time. This means that the object's position, velocity, and acceleration must be described using two different variables.

3. What is the formula for calculating displacement in 2 dimensional motion?

The formula for calculating displacement in 2 dimensional motion is ∆r = ∆x + ∆y, where ∆x and ∆y represent the change in position along the x and y axes, respectively. This formula takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of displacement.

4. How is acceleration calculated in 2 dimensional motion?

Acceleration in 2 dimensional motion is calculated using the formula a = (∆vx + ∆vy) / ∆t, where ∆vx and ∆vy represent the changes in velocity along the x and y axes, respectively, and ∆t represents the change in time. This formula takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration.

5. What are some real-world examples of 2 dimensional motion?

Some real-world examples of 2 dimensional motion include a ball being thrown at an angle, a car driving in a circular track, a plane flying in a curved path, or a roller coaster moving along a track with loops and turns. These scenarios involve both horizontal and vertical movement, making them 2 dimensional motion problems.