Help with this subbing equation to another equation question

• Thread starter kramer733
  • Start date
In summary, Runner A runs at a constant speed of 6.0 m/s for 10 seconds, covering a distance of 60 meters. Runner B accelerates from 4.0 m/s to 10.0 m/s steadily over the same 10 seconds, covering a distance of 70 meters.
kramer733

Homework Statement

runner A runs at 6.0 m/s for 10s. Runnber B accelerates from 4.0 m/s to 10.0 m/s. steadily. in 10s.
how far does runner a go?

Homework Equations

v2=v1+at
d=v1*t+0.5a*t^2
d=Vavg*t

The Attempt at a Solution

ok this is how much I've worked it out so far
but I'm stuck now
v2=v1+at
a=(v2-v1)/2
v1=6m/s
t=10s
d=v1*t+0.5at^2
d=6*10+0.5((v2-6)/10)*10^2
does 0.5 multiply the denominator?
am i even doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
runner A runs at 6.0 m/s for 10s.
d = vt = 6*10 = 60 m

so... >_> it was that simple.. >< But does the 0.5 multiply the denominator? Also is the 0.5 in this case the coefficient? Is that a coefficient?

Hmm, too simple. Is there a part (b)? It might, for example, ask how far ahead one runner is after the 10 seconds.

Delphi51 said:
d = vt = 6*10 = 60 m

Delphi51 said:
Hmm, too simple. Is there a part (b)? It might, for example, ask how far ahead one runner is after the 10 seconds.

Hm well part b was How far does runner B go? Found out it was 70

Now I'm stuck with this question. Do i start a new thread or do i post it here and just edit it?

I agree with the 70.
Sorry about the delay; I had to lop two 6 inch branches off a tree 25 feet up!
Success, except I crashed one of them on my gate and damaged it.

What is the purpose of subbing one equation to another?

The purpose of subbing one equation to another is to simplify a mathematical problem by replacing one equation with another that is equivalent. This can make the problem easier to solve or provide a different perspective on the problem.

What are the steps to subbing one equation to another?

The steps to subbing one equation to another include: 1) Identify the equation that will be subbed, 2) Identify the equation that it will be substituted into, 3) Solve for the variable in the equation that will be subbed, 4) Substitute the solved variable into the other equation, and 5) Simplify the equation and solve for the remaining variable.

When should you use subbing in equations?

Subbing equations can be useful when faced with a complex problem that involves multiple equations or variables. It can help to simplify the problem and make it more manageable to solve.

What are some common mistakes when subbing equations?

Some common mistakes when subbing equations include: not solving for the variable correctly before substituting it, substituting the wrong value or equation, and making errors in simplifying the equation. It is important to double check all steps and calculations to avoid these mistakes.

Can subbing equations be used for all types of equations?

Subbing equations can be used for linear, quadratic, and other types of equations. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving certain types of equations. It is important to consider other methods as well and choose the one that is most appropriate for the specific problem at hand.