I really wish it were April 1st.

• Thread starter Argentum Vulpes
  • Start date
What's next? blah blah blah..."In summary, All Nippon Airways is implementing an experiment where they are asking passengers to use the restrooms before boarding to save the environment. Some people are skeptical of the impact this will have and are making jokes about other potential measures such as nude flights. However, others argue that even small actions can make a difference in the long run. Overall, the request is not a requirement and will only last for a month.
Argentum Vulpes
All Nippon Airways is asking its passengers to use the restrooms before boarding to save the environment.

How dumb/gullible dose this airline think people are? 240 to 340 pounds of less waste on a 767 is nothing for the planes fuel efficiency.

What is next nude flights because of all that heavy clothing, then we can get rid of everything on the inside of the plane because that is all extra weight.

Link to the http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/airline-asks-passengers-empty-bladders-boarding-flights/story?id=8775226" article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Argentum Vulpes said:
What is next nude flights because of all that heavy clothing, then we can get rid of everything on the inside of the plane because that is all extra weight.

*devilish laugh*

Think about it. Nude stewardesses serving you champagne.

And for the ladies, nude stewards serving you champagne.

There would be no hijackings or terrorist activity.

It would simply be

"Listen thu mee. Zis iz a HIJACKING, everyone shut up and... :bugeye:... *sits back down* *forgets about plan* *takes out iphone and sends pictures of stewardess to Osama* *World Peace*"

I think it would be difficult to perform a hijacking while naked. For starters, you can't conceal weapons. In addition, well... you're naked. Not very imposing, and everyone knows where to aim to kick you

At least going through security would be easier.

Argentum Vulpes said:
All Nippon Airways is asking its passengers to use the restrooms before boarding to save the environment.

How dumb/gullible dose this airline think people are? 240 to 340 pounds of less waste on a 767 is nothing for the planes fuel efficiency.
Every 30 years or so, we have another "energy crisis".

Switch off your lights! Replace energy-eating bulbs with smaller ones! etc etc.

These things are put out as reminders every few years to offset the general attrition of energy-saving habits due to complacence.

Same with fuel-saving. Whether true or not, it causes people to be mindful of what they're doing.

And, while it may not make a difference now, it might in 10 or 20 years when a new generation grows up with energy-saving as second nature.

Whether it works or not, or right or not, I think this is sometimes why these things happen.

At least, that's my opinion.

This is really a packing issue. Sardines don't need leg room. Why should people? The more the leg room the more massive the airframe, the greater the ecological impact.

People are about 2 to 3 cubic feet in volume. Call it 2.75 after considering the fast-food-effect. With an equal amount of luggage, 1000 passangers and their trappings can be transported from point A to point B in a jet propelled canister 50 feet long and 12 feet in diameter. Airbus is working on it.

Argentum Vulpes said:

Link to the http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/airline-asks-passengers-empty-bladders-boarding-flights/story?id=8775226" article.

I have NO idea what your beef is about. 300 pounds of excess anything requires more fuel to accelerate and keep in the air. It is a very small percentage of the total fuel, but it is one of those amounts that gets multiplied a thousand-fold over a month.

It's not a requirement, it's not even a "plea," it's a request and it's an experiment that will last a month.

So your problem is, what...?

"These environmentalist whackos are at it again! What's next? Will we have to leave our blood behind? What's next? Will we be allowed to bring our clothes? What's next? Will we be forces to shave our heads? What's next? Are they going to ask us to give up our freedom? What's next? blah blah blah..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think that if it pays off everyone will be looking at it in a different light. They are doing this to reduce their annual emissions right? How many flights are there daily even hourly?

It's like those tricky math questions teachers love to give. 'would you rather get a penny a day under this interest for 3 years or me give you 1 million dollars'. Most students laugh at the idea of getting 1 penny a day but rest assured, it always equals to be more than the lump sum amount. (just pointing out that a little bit every hour every day does make a difference).
As for the clothing part... really?

They should have really enforced it, instead of just asking.
"Sir, I see you have a colon full of poop. Don't waste our fuel carrying your poop."

Phrak said:
This is really a packing issue. Sardines don't need leg room. Why should people? The more the leg room the more massive the airframe, the greater the ecological impact.

People are about 2 to 3 cubic feet in volume. Call it 2.75 after considering the fast-food-effect. With an equal amount of luggage, 1000 passangers and their trappings can be transported from point A to point B in a jet propelled canister 50 feet long and 12 feet in diameter. Airbus is working on it.

For a second I thought you were serious : )

Chi Meson said:
I have NO idea what your beef is about. 300 pounds of excess anything requires more fuel to accelerate and keep in the air. It is a very small percentage of the total fuel, but it is one of those amounts that gets multiplied a thousand-fold over a month.

It's not a requirement, it's not even a "plea," it's a request and it's an experiment that will last a month.

"These environmentalist whackos are at it again! What's next? Will we have to leave our blood behind? What's next? Will we be allowed to bring our clothes? What's next? Will we be forces to shave our heads? What's next? Are they going to ask us to give up our freedom? What's next? blah blah blah..."

I find it hard to believe people complaining when we already do this before long drives.

"Little Johnny, we are NOT leaving until you pee before we start driving."

JasonRox said:
I find it hard to believe people complaining when we already do this before long drives.

"Little Johnny, we are NOT leaving until you pee before we start driving."

In protest to this argument I am going to start wearing a diaper when traveling by car : )

How do you like it :grumpy:

Last edited:
I reason that any ideas I had if written down would be published. It is only right then that when I make a statement that I should be able to put myself as my own references
: )

Also he is referring to a post made by Chi Meson earlier in the thread :tongue2:

LOL upon further reading I amend my previous statement as upon further backtracking I found out what you were referring to; therefore disregard what I just said even though I am capable of simply editing it out I think it remains within the spirit of this thread to leave it in.

Last edited:
"All passengers ticketed on Flight 22, please report to the enema salon for your complimentary colon-cleansing." "After a successful treatment, you will be cleared for pre-boarding."

turbo-1 said:
"All passengers ticketed on Flight 22, please report to the enema salon for your complimentary colon-cleansing." "After a successful treatment, you will be cleared for pre-boarding."

And the high-speed train system was finally adopted in the US.

Could it be that the issue is not fuel effecenicy but disposal? I believe full tanks are simply dumped in the air.

Integral said:
Could it be that the issue is not fuel effecenicy but disposal? I believe full tanks are simply dumped in the air.

That would be incorrect. Fighter planes only do this when the situation requires it. I can't think of any commercial jets that can even be outfitted with external fuel tanks.

Pattonias said:
That would be incorrect. Fighter planes only do this when the situation requires it. I can't think of any commercial jets that can even be outfitted with external fuel tanks.

He means sewage tanks. Why would you dump fuel?

Sorry misunderstood, you could dump fuel or tanks for many reasons.

To lighten the plane or if you need to crash land you will dump fuel.

If you were a fighter jet cruising you could drop the external tanks to become more maneuverable.

There are many instances where it would/could be prudent to dump fuel on aircraft.

In relation to the dropping waist, I don't think this is done nowadays.

Pattonias said:
In relation to the dropping waist, I don't think this is done nowadays.
There certainly hasn't been much dropping of waist around here. And it's not going to get better over the Thanksgiving weekend... :tongue2:

Integral said:

There's no way tanks of excrement are just dumped overland

Office_Shredder said:
There's no way tanks of excrement are just dumped overland

hahaha I doubt they are just dumped anywhere while the plane is in the air unless it was an emergency situation.

Doesn't everyone use the facilities prior to boarding now? If you don't, I must assume your flight has never been delayed.

WhoWee said:
Doesn't everyone use the facilities prior to boarding now? If you don't, I must assume your flight has never been delayed.

That's the truth!

I try not to use the lavatories on planes at all...there always seems to be unknown fluids on the floor, seat, etc. Once the TP was soaked with something...ugh :yuck:.

WhoWee said:
I have had delays on feeder flights that lasted longer than the entire scheduled itinerary. Even if you don't have to go, GO!

Chi Meson said:

No this is not some slippery slope we are going to be in a prison state argument. This is a use some bloody common sense argument. And I am a bit offended by you jumping to that conclusion, then again it is hard to read sarcasm in a internet post.

I'm willing to bet that All Nippon Airways is wanting to cut its bottom line by having to empty the waste holding tanks less, or by having less in the tanks not having to pay as large of a waste disposal fee.

My beef is that they are doing something to save them money but are too afraid to just come out and say it. So let's come up with some quasi sounding way to help the environment to get all of the people out there to to do what the corporation wants. My hat off to All Nippon Airways for creativity, but let's stop saying stuff is for the environment when it is for the bottom line.

Also the next time you are in your car don't use any extraneous electrical components; headlights, radio, climate control blowers, windshield wipers, ect. All of that extra load on the alternator will use up more gas. (In reality you are using only about half a horse of power, so only oz's of savings per tank load.)

WhoWee said:

That's what I was thinking! As soon as they announce the first boarding call for the "elite" passengers, I make my last bathroom run. I never know how long it'll be before they allow us to get up out of those seats again. It doesn't help, the cabin pressure changes or something always stimulate my bladder excessively in aircraft, and even using the restroom just before boarding, I still need to use it again as soon as the fasten seatbelts sign is turned off (or usually before...there have been a few times that I've just had to ignore that sign and take my chances of using the restroom before it was turned off).

1. What is the significance of April 1st?

April 1st is commonly known as April Fools' Day, a holiday that is celebrated in many countries around the world. It is a day where people play jokes or pranks on each other, often with humorous or absurd intentions.

2. Why do people wish it was April 1st?

Many people enjoy the lighthearted and playful nature of April Fools' Day and look forward to the opportunity to pull off a good prank or be on the receiving end of one. Wishing it was April 1st may also be a way to escape from the monotony or seriousness of everyday life.

3. Is there a reason for the specific date of April 1st?

The origins of April Fools' Day are unclear, but it is believed to have started in the 16th century in France. Some theories suggest that it may have been linked to the spring equinox or the changing of the calendar from Julian to Gregorian. However, the exact reason for the date of April 1st remains a mystery.

4. Are there any cultural differences in how April Fools' Day is celebrated?

Yes, there are variations in how different countries and cultures celebrate April Fools' Day. In some places, it is only a morning tradition, while in others, it is celebrated all day. Some countries have specific traditions or customs associated with the holiday, such as the French tradition of trying to stick a paper fish on someone's back without them noticing.

5. What are some examples of famous April Fools' Day pranks?

There have been many memorable April Fools' Day pranks throughout history. Some examples include the BBC's 1957 broadcast of a fake documentary about spaghetti trees, Google's 2013 announcement of Google Nose, a feature that allows users to smell scents through their computer, and the 1996 Taco Liberty Bell prank by Taco Bell where they claimed to have purchased the historic Liberty Bell and renamed it.