Solving the Mohrs Circle Problem for Aluminium Angle Iron

• Thread starter Kalus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
Expert summarizerIn summary, the experiment involves determining the deflections and calculating the second moment of area of a piece of aluminium angle iron with a force acting at the bottom horizontally. The deflections are measured using two dial gauges and plotted against mass. The values are then converted to m/N and plotted on a Mohr's circle to find the center and radius. The second moment of area is calculated using the length of the specimen, the Young's modulus of the material, and the distance and radius of the Mohr's circle. However, without knowing the dimensions and material properties of the angle iron, it is difficult to verify the accuracy of the calculated value.
Kalus
The basic problem involves a piece of aluminium angle iron (L section) pinned at the top, with a force acting at the bottom horizontally. This angle iron can be rotated between 0 and 180 degrees. The aim is to find the deflections and then calculate the second moment of area of the beam

see http://www.utem.edu.my/fkm/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=276&Itemid=69 for a better idea of the experiment

The deflection is read by two dial gauges, U (the deflection in the direction of the force) and V (the deflection normal to the line of F) for masses between 0 and 500g and head angles every 22.5 degrees between 0 and 180.

The U and V values (in mm) i have plotted (y axis) against mass (x axis, in grams) for each of the 9 head angles. I've then read off the gradients dU/dP and dV/dP (where p is the mass) for each experiment. These gradients I've then converted from units of mm/g to m/N.

I've then plotted the 9 (one coordinate point for each head angle) sets of dU/dP, dV/dP on a graph to form a mohrs circle. The center of this circle is 1.3x10^-7 from the origin and 7x10^-8 as a radius.

Then to find the values for the second moment of area Ix (Iy is done in a similar fashion but replacing OC +R with OC-R)

Ix = L^3/ (3E(OC+R))

Where
L = length of specimen =(0.47m)
E= youngs modulus of material= (AL= 69x10^9 Pa)
OC= Distance from origin center of mohrs circle (m/N) =1.3x10^-7
R= Radius of mohrs circle (m/N)= 7x10^-8

This gives an answer of around 2.5x10^-6 (m^4) or 2500000 mm^4

This seems quite small, is it feasible? I wish i had the dimensions of the L shape of the beam so i could calculate Ix and Iy the easy way to verify my answer.

Thanks,
Kalus

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Kalus,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and calculations with us. It seems like you have done a thorough job in obtaining your data and analyzing it. However, in order to accurately determine the second moment of area of the beam, we would need more information about the dimensions and material properties of the angle iron.

The second moment of area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a property of a cross-sectional shape that is related to its resistance to bending. It is calculated by integrating the cross-sectional area with respect to the distance from an axis of rotation. Therefore, in order to calculate the second moment of area for your angle iron, we would need to know the dimensions of the angle iron, such as the width and thickness of the flanges and the length of the legs.

Additionally, the material properties of the angle iron, such as the yield strength and modulus of elasticity, would also affect the calculation of the second moment of area. These properties can vary depending on the type and grade of the aluminum used.

Without this information, it is difficult to determine the accuracy of your calculated value of 2.5x10^-6 m^4. It is always good to verify your results by using multiple methods or cross-checking with known values. If possible, try to obtain the dimensions and material properties of the angle iron to ensure the accuracy of your results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the Mohrs Circle problem for Aluminium Angle Iron?

The Mohrs Circle problem for Aluminium Angle Iron involves determining the principal stresses and maximum shear stress in a piece of angle iron made of aluminium under a given load. This is important for understanding the stress distribution in the material and its potential failure points.

2. How is the Mohrs Circle problem solved?

The Mohrs Circle problem is solved by constructing a graph known as the Mohrs Circle, which plots the normal and shear stresses at various angles around a point on the material. The center of the circle represents the average stress, while its radius represents the maximum shear stress. By analyzing the circle, the principal stresses and maximum shear stress can be determined.

3. What factors affect the Mohrs Circle for Aluminium Angle Iron?

The Mohrs Circle for Aluminium Angle Iron is affected by factors such as the load applied, the material properties of the angle iron and the orientation of the angle iron relative to the load. These factors can change the shape and size of the Mohrs Circle, which in turn affects the stress distribution in the material.

4. How is the Mohrs Circle problem useful in engineering?

The Mohrs Circle problem is useful in engineering as it allows for a visual representation of the stress distribution in a material, making it easier to identify potential failure points. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing structures to ensure their safety and longevity.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Mohrs Circle problem for Aluminium Angle Iron?

Yes, there are limitations to solving the Mohrs Circle problem for Aluminium Angle Iron. The method assumes that the material is isotropic (has the same properties in all directions), which may not always be the case. Additionally, it only considers the stresses at a specific point on the material, and may not account for other factors that could affect its overall behavior.