Is a Minor in Nuclear Engineering Worth Pursuing for a Physics Major?

In summary: A double major or minor in mechanical engineering or physics would help your job prospects, but industries are generally looking for that engineering degree first. Having only a minor in the engineering part, especially if that means skipping the thermo classes, will be detrimental unless you have some very specific field in mind.
nlsherrill
This upcoming fall semester I plan on basically starting a B.S. in physics at NC State University. I have talked to a couple of post docs and professors, and they told me that maybe minoring in an applied area would be a good idea if I wasn't sure if I want to go to grad school after graduation. My school has a Nuclear Engineering program, and also offers a minor. Would it be worth my time/money to take 4 courses to obtain a minor in NE?

The required courses for the minor are:

NE 201 Introduction to Nuclear Engineering (2cr)
NE 202 Radiation Sources, Interaction and Detection (4cr)
NE 301 Fundamentals of Nuclear Engineering (4cr)

and here are the electives(I need to take 2)

NE 400 Nuclear Reactor Energy Conversion 2 (4cr)
NE 401 Rector Analysis and Design (4cr)
NE 402 Reactor Engineering (4cr)
NE 404/504 Radiation Safety and Shielding (3cr)
NE 409/509 Nuclear Materials (4cr)
NE 412/512 Nuclear Fuel Cycles (3cr)
NE 528 Introduction to Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy (3cr)

note the last course. I could take that and it would go with my physics degree as a technical elective, so really instead of 5 courses outside the physics program, its 4.

The courses sound kind of interesting in their own way. I don't plan on going into engineering, but I wouldn't mind getting a minor in it if it could help at all with career options.

Engineering news on Phys.org
After the required courses, I'd recommend

but then I'd also recommend

When you're done, send me your resume.

Astronuc said:

Aside from the courses your recommended, would obtaining the minor really mean anything to an employer compared to someone who just majored in some kind of engineering?

thanks for the quick reply

nlsherrill said:
Aside from the courses your recommended, would obtaining the minor really mean anything to an employer compared to someone who just majored in some kind of engineering?

thanks for the quick reply
That would depend on the employer. Utilities are looking for folks who can fit into operations. Vendors and DOE are looking for folks who fit into production, technology development or research - which may be hardware or software/codes.

I think an engineer with a physics background (or physics major with some engineering, or engineering physics) has an edge.

Besides the core nuclear engineering courses, most nuclear engineering programs require courses in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and EE courses in circuits and electromechanics (transformers and generator/motors).

I presume one will do nuclear physics, if not done already.

Astronuc said:

The only thing with taking NE 401 is that I would have all the prerequisites except MAE 310 which is Engineering Thermodynamics. I wonder if they would wave that prerequisite since by the time I would take NE 401 I would have already taken PY 413 which is Thermal Physics. Seems reasonable that they would let me take it, but they could be anal about that kind of stuff.

If you are looking to get a job right after getting a B.S. then I would recommend a full nuclear engineering major. A double major or minor in mechanical engineering or physics would help your job prospects, but industries are generally looking for that engineering degree first. Having only a minor in the engineering part, especially if that means skipping the thermo classes, will be detrimental unless you have some very specific field in mind.

nlsherrill said:
The only thing with taking NE 401 is that I would have all the prerequisites except MAE 310 which is Engineering Thermodynamics. I wonder if they would wave that prerequisite since by the time I would take NE 401 I would have already taken PY 413 which is Thermal Physics. Seems reasonable that they would let me take it, but they could be anal about that kind of stuff.

They want that class for good reason. I had to retake reactor engineering because I had a weak background in thermodynamics. You'll also want a good grasp of differential equations for mass and heat transfer problems you'll have to solve.

The ME and NRE majors at my university differed only by nine classes (~30 credits) and I knew a few that pursued double majors. It was difficult to keep up with, even for my very talented friends but it can be done.

theCandyman said:
They want that class for good reason. I had to retake reactor engineering because I had a weak background in thermodynamics. You'll also want a good grasp of differential equations for mass and heat transfer problems you'll have to solve.

The ME and NRE majors at my university differed only by nine classes (~30 credits) and I knew a few that pursued double majors. It was difficult to keep up with, even for my very talented friends but it can be done.

Well I just found out today I cannot pursue a minor in engineering unless I am in the College of Engineering. Bleh this sucks! I could go for engineering and do a minor in physics however...but I really want to take the upper level physics courses... O well. I'm sure the physics courses will be enough to deal with by themselves.

What is a minor in Nuclear Engineering?

A minor in Nuclear Engineering is an academic program that allows students to gain a foundational understanding of nuclear principles and applications while pursuing a major in a related field. It typically requires completion of a set of courses in nuclear engineering and related subjects.

Why should I consider a minor in Nuclear Engineering?

A minor in Nuclear Engineering can enhance your career opportunities, especially in industries such as energy, defense, and medicine. It also provides a valuable interdisciplinary perspective that combines engineering, physics, chemistry, and mathematics.

What courses are typically included in a minor in Nuclear Engineering?

Common courses in a minor in Nuclear Engineering may include nuclear reactor theory, nuclear materials, radiation protection, and nuclear power systems. Some programs may also offer electives in areas such as nuclear medicine, nuclear waste management, and nuclear security.

Is a minor in Nuclear Engineering difficult to complete?

Like any academic program, the difficulty level of a minor in Nuclear Engineering can vary depending on the individual student's strengths and interests. However, it typically requires a strong foundation in mathematics and science and a commitment to studying complex and technical material.

Can I pursue a minor in Nuclear Engineering without a major in a related field?

While a major in a related field (such as engineering, physics, or chemistry) is often recommended for a minor in Nuclear Engineering, some programs may allow students from other majors to pursue the minor with additional prerequisites. It's important to check with your academic advisor to see if you meet the requirements for the minor.