Convergence of Complex Series: Finding the Sum and Radii of Convergence

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the values of z for which the series \sum_{n=0}^\infty} (n+1)z^n converges and the sum of the series. The equations discussed were R = \frac{1}{\lim a_n^(1/n)}, r<\rho<R, and q = \frac{r}{\rho}, which can be applied to complex series. The conversation also delved into using the derivative of the geometric series sum (1/(1-z)) to find the sum of the series. The final solution was given as \frac {\alpha !}{(1-z)^{\alpha+1}} for \sum_{n=0}^\infty}
Redsummers

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty} (n+1)z^n[/tex]

We have to find for which values of z is the series converging and also, we should find the sum of such a complex series.

Homework Equations

[tex]R = \frac{1}{\lim a_n^(1/n)}[/tex]

[tex] r<\rho<R [/tex]

[tex] q = \frac{r}{\rho} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I searched for a series expansion similar to our sum (I first thought it would be log (n+1) ) but it wasn't the case.

Then, I looked up for my lecture notes on uniform convergence and continuity, and I found these equations stated above. I think this should definitely help since it can also be applied to complex series.

The problem, though, is that I don't really know how to use such radii of convergence. I also wrote down the factor q, since it rather seems that to solve this sum I will most likely need the geometric series (sum q^n = 1/(1-q) ). So my problem really is how to deal with the (n+1) factor, otherwise, if it was just z^n it would just converge to 1/(1-z) for all |z| < 1 = r.

I would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Does that look like the derivative of anything?

Yeah, I guess that just looks as if we took the derivative of z^(n+1), but I don't see how is this going to help us anyway *shrug*.

Maybe I'm not counting some fundamental definition of integrals, series and its relations?

Oh got it!
You were right about looking at the derivative. It was just that the sum of z^n (from 0 to inf) equals to a geometric series, then, if we take the derivative of this geometric series, we get exactly our sum. I.e. taking the derivative of the geometric series sum (1/(1-z)) will be our result, which ended up to be 1/(z-1)^2

Thanks!

Redsummers said:
Oh got it!
You were right about looking at the derivative. It was just that the sum of z^n (from 0 to inf) equals to a geometric series, then, if we take the derivative of this geometric series, we get exactly our sum. I.e. taking the derivative of the geometric series sum (1/(1-z)) will be our result, which ended up to be 1/(z-1)^2

Thanks!

Be careful about the first term and your sign when you differentiate.

Oh, sure. In that case though, (z-1)^2 = (1-z)^2. But for odd powers we should put a minus sign. So actually, if you think of it, we can come up with a nice formula, such as:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty} (n+1)(n+2)...(n+\alpha)z^n = \frac {\alpha !}{(1-z)^{\alpha+1}}[/tex]

1. What is the definition of "convergence" in complex series?

The convergence of a complex series refers to whether the series has a finite limit or not. In other words, it describes whether the terms of the series approach a specific value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is the convergence of a complex series determined?

The convergence of a complex series is determined by analyzing the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases. This can be done through various tests, such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test.

3. What is the importance of understanding convergence in complex series?

Understanding convergence in complex series is important because it allows us to determine whether a series is meaningful or not. If a series converges, then it has a finite limit and can be used in mathematical calculations. If a series diverges, it does not have a finite limit and cannot be used in calculations.

4. Is it possible for a series to converge in one form but not another?

Yes, it is possible for a series to converge in one form but not another. For example, a series may converge when the terms are added in a certain order, but diverge when the terms are added in a different order. This is known as conditional convergence.

5. How can understanding convergence in complex series be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding convergence in complex series can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to analyze and make predictions about the behavior of systems or processes that involve infinite sums. For example, in physics, Fourier series are used to describe the behavior of periodic functions, and understanding their convergence is crucial in accurately modeling physical phenomena.