Intersection of ellipses and equivalent problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for determining whether two ellipses intersect without finding the actual points. One suggestion is to use equivalent problems that involve solving for angles, but the person has not been successful in solving these equations. Another approach is to use discriminants and eliminate the angles to create a quadratic equation in two variables, which can be solved numerically. The person also mentions a website where someone claims to have a solution.
Gerenuk
Does anyone know how to determine whether two ellipses intersect? I don't need the precise points but rather only the answer whether there are points. All my attempts led to 4th order polynomials, which are heavy to solve, but considering that I don't need the actual points I assume there must be an easier way.

Some guy claims it's doable
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID6/710.shtml

Here are some equivalent problems which have to be solved for the angles (which however I can't solve either...)
[tex]\cos\phi+a\sin\theta=x[/tex]
[tex]\sin\phi+b\cos\theta=y[/tex]
or even
[tex]\Re(e^{i\theta}(1+ze^{i\theta}))=q[/tex]
where z is complex, is an equivalent problem. Any ideas?

My best attempt so far was using discriminants, but it's messy and I made a mistake somewhere...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would eliminate the angles by squaring and write the equations in Cartesian coordinates. Then we have still a quadratic equation in two variables, which one can be normalized by a coordinate transformation, such that we end up with ##y=\pm \frac{b}{a}\sqrt{a^2-x^2}## with one of the two ellipsis. This can be substituted into the other equation, such that we have only one equation in ##x##. It is probably easiest to determine it numerically by one the tools available on the internet.

1. What is the intersection of two ellipses?

The intersection of two ellipses is the set of points where the two ellipses intersect. This can result in zero, one, two, or more points, depending on the position and size of the ellipses.

2. How can I find the intersection points of two ellipses?

To find the intersection points of two ellipses, you can use the algebraic equations of the ellipses and solve for the variables. This will give you the coordinates of the intersection points.

3. Can two ellipses have multiple intersection points?

Yes, two ellipses can have multiple intersection points. This can happen when the ellipses are overlapping or when one ellipse is inside the other.

4. Is it possible for two ellipses to not have any intersection points?

Yes, if the two ellipses do not intersect at all, then there will be no intersection points. This can happen when the two ellipses are completely separate and do not overlap in any way.

5. How can the intersection of ellipses be used in real-world applications?

The intersection of ellipses has many real-world applications, such as in satellite orbit calculations, computer graphics, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics and in the design of mechanical linkages.