Finding Rate of Flow Outward Through a Paraboloid

In summary, the problem asks to find the rate of flow outward through the paraboloid z = 64 - x^2 - y^2 above the xy plane, given a fluid with density 1000 km/m^3 and velocity V = <x, y, z> measured in meters per second. The relevant equation is a double integral of (Density*V ds), where V is the velocity function. To solve the problem, a parametric equation for the paraboloid is needed, which can be obtained by fixing z and tracing out a circle, leading to the final answer of \vec{r}(x, \theta) = (xcos\theta, xsin\theta, 64 - x^2
blacksoil
1. Problem:
A fluid has density 1000 km/m3 and flows with velocity V =<x,y,z>, where x, y, and z are measured in meters, and the components of V are measured in meters per second. Find the rate of flow outward through the part of the paraboloid z = 64 - x^2 - y^2 that lies above the xy plane.

2. Relevant Equation:
Double Integral (Density*V ds)

Where V is the velocity function

3. The Attempt at a Solution
The only formula i found to solve this problem is formula above(2) which requires me to have the parametric equation for the paraboloid.. The thing is I really have no idea how to turn the paraboloid equation above into parametric equation

Helps are really appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't quite get understand the way you worded the problem, but here's the parametrized surface:

[tex] \vec{r}(x, \theta) = (xcos\theta, xsin\theta, 64 - x^2) [/tex]

How is the fluid density measured in km/m^3? What units is your "rate of flow" supposed to be measured in? Also, are you sure your formula is correct?

i just copy pasted the actual problem from wamap.. and about the formula, I'm not sure either since i found it from google...
anyhow, how do you get the parametric equation? is that something to remember?

thanks

It's not something you have to memorize, but it is a method with which you should familiarize yourself. I'll give you a hint:

Fixing z traces out a circle on the paraboloid. The standard and obvious parametrization of the unit circle is [tex] \vec{r}(\theta) = (cos\theta, sin\theta). [/tex] Can you figure out what leads us to the final answer from here?

1. What is the definition of flow rate?

The flow rate is the volume of a fluid that passes through a given surface in a specific amount of time. It is usually measured in units of volume per unit of time, such as liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

2. How is flow rate calculated for a paraboloid?

The flow rate through a paraboloid can be calculated using the formula Q = (π/3) * h * (r^2 + (r * R) + R^2), where Q is the flow rate, h is the height of the paraboloid, r is the radius of the base, and R is the radius of the top.

3. What factors affect the flow rate through a paraboloid?

The flow rate through a paraboloid is affected by the shape and size of the paraboloid, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the paraboloid.

4. How can the flow rate through a paraboloid be measured?

The flow rate through a paraboloid can be measured using a flow meter or by collecting the fluid that passes through the paraboloid and measuring its volume and time. It can also be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation or other fluid dynamics equations.

5. What are the practical applications of finding the flow rate through a paraboloid?

The flow rate through a paraboloid is important in many engineering and scientific fields, such as in the design of fluid flow systems, analysis of fluid dynamics, and measurement of flow in natural systems like rivers and streams. It is also used in industries like oil and gas, chemical processing, and water treatment for efficient and accurate flow control.