Radius of 2nd Sphere: Find Mass 5x Greater than 1st

In summary, the two spheres made from a uniform rock have radii of 4.50cm and 5 times greater than that of the first sphere. The ratio of their volumes is equivalent to the ratio of their masses. Using this information, we can set up an equation to find the radius of the second sphere, which turns out to be 7.69 cm.
afg_91320

Homework Statement

Two spheres are cut from a certain uniform rock. One has a radius 4.50cm. The mass of the
other is 5 times greater. Find its radius

Homework Equations

r1 = 4.50cm
r2 = ? when mass is 5x greater

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at this problem I first thought of somehow integrating the volume of a sphere
which is 4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r3. But then i though i was just thinking too hard. it made more sense for the radius to be 5x the radius as i figure the mass was proportional to the radius.

so: r2 = 5(4.50cm) = 22.5cm

however i got this marked wrong as the answer was 7.69 cm. what wasn't I looking at clearly?

Physics news on Phys.org
afg_91320 said:

Homework Statement

Two spheres are cut from a certain uniform rock. One has a radius 4.50cm. The mass of the
other is 5 times greater. Find its radius

Homework Equations

r1 = 4.50cm
r2 = ? when mass is 5x greater

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at this problem I first thought of somehow integrating the volume of a sphere
which is 4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r3. But then i though i was just thinking too hard. it made more sense for the radius to be 5x the radius as i figure the mass was proportional to the radius.

so: r2 = 5(4.50cm) = 22.5cm

however i got this marked wrong as the answer was 7.69 cm. what wasn't I looking at clearly?

You started on the right track. Mass is proportional to volume, so the ratio 5 applies to the two radii how?

berkeman said:
You started on the right track. Mass is proportional to volume, so the ratio 5 applies to the two radii how?

well that would be proportional to the mass right? so if r2 is 5x in mass then r1 is 1/5(mass)? set up my equation to isolate r to get the radius...

afg_91320 said:
well that would be proportional to the mass right? so if r2 is 5x in mass then r1 is 1/5(mass)? set up my equation to isolate r to get the radius...

Mass is proportional to volume. Write the fraction V1/V2 out fully, and that will show you a ratio involving some form of the radii. That's where the 5x comes into play...

It seems like you were on the right track with your initial approach of using the formula for the volume of a sphere. However, instead of looking at the relationship between the radii, you should have considered the relationship between the volumes and the masses. Since the mass of the second sphere is 5 times greater than the first, we can set up the following equation:

(4/3)pi(r1)^3 = 5(4/3)pi(r2)^3

Simplifying this equation, we get:

r2 = (r1)^3 * (5/4)^(1/3)

Plugging in the given value for r1 = 4.50cm, we get:

r2 = (4.50cm)^3 * (5/4)^(1/3) = 7.69cm

Therefore, the radius of the second sphere is 7.69cm. It is important to consider the relationship between the volumes and masses in order to find the correct solution.

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of the 2nd sphere?

The formula for calculating the radius of the 2nd sphere in this scenario is: r2 = (5r1)1/3, where r1 is the radius of the 1st sphere.

2. How does the mass of the 2nd sphere compare to the 1st sphere?

The mass of the 2nd sphere is 5 times greater than the mass of the 1st sphere. This is because the mass of a sphere is directly proportional to the cube of its radius, so if the radius is multiplied by 5, the mass will be multiplied by 53 = 125.

3. What is the significance of finding a mass 5 times greater in the 2nd sphere?

Finding a mass 5 times greater in the 2nd sphere means that the density of the 2nd sphere is significantly higher than the 1st sphere. This could indicate a difference in composition or internal structure between the two spheres.

4. Can the formula for calculating the radius of the 2nd sphere be used for any size of spheres?

Yes, the formula can be used for any size of spheres as long as the ratio between the two spheres remains the same. This means that if the 1st sphere has a radius of 10 units, the 2nd sphere's radius would be 50 units to have a mass 5 times greater.

5. Is there any other information needed to calculate the radius of the 2nd sphere in this scenario?

Yes, in addition to the radius of the 1st sphere, the density of the material of the spheres would also be needed to accurately calculate the radius of the 2nd sphere. This is because density is a factor in the mass calculation.