Linear expansion? Or area expansion?

In summary, Homework Equations state that if two rails are sitting end-to-end at a high temperature, the distance between them will shrink by a small amount. However, if the temperature change happens everywhere, the gap between the rails will also shrink by the same amount.
Patdon10

Homework Statement

Steel rails for a train track are laid in a region subject to extremes of temperature. The distance from one juncture to the next is 5.4 m, and the cross-sectional area of the rails is 60 cm2. If the rails touch each other without buckling at the maximum temperature, 51 °C, how much space will there be between the rails at -17 °C? (The linear expansion coefficient for steel is 1.3 10-5 °C−1.)

Homework Equations

ΔL = α*L*ΔT
ΔA = 2αAΔT = 2L(αLΔT)

The Attempt at a Solution

Giving the cross-sectional area is confusing. I don't understand why you would need it? From what I understand of this problem, it is simply two "sections" of rails connected. At 51 degress, they are touching. I need to find how much they shrink at -17 degrees. It doesn't matter if it's a wire or a rail, it will shrink or lengthen accordingly (correct?)

ΔL = αLΔT
ΔL = (1.3*10^-5)(5.4m)(-17-51)
ΔL = -0.00477 m
Because two rails are shrinking I need to double that to 0.009547 m.
That's how much space I'm calculating and it's saying it's the wrong answer. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Patdon10 said:
Because two rails are shrinking I need to double that to 0.009547 m.
Careful. You've calculated the shrinking of the entire rail, not just one end.

I would say you have to use the cross-section as well.
If they gave it to you, it's probably because you have to use it.

R.

Doc Al said:
Careful. You've calculated the shrinking of the entire rail, not just one end.

right. because I would need to see the spacing between the two rails. I would assume both rails would shrink, correct?

Rick88 said:
I would say you have to use the cross-section as well.
If they gave it to you, it's probably because you have to use it.

R.

yeah, I'm scared of that too. Do you know how i could implement it into an equation?

It almost seems to me like you should calculate the volumetric expansion.

Patdon10 said:
right. because I would need to see the spacing between the two rails. I would assume both rails would shrink, correct?
Correct. So why double your answer?

Rick88 said:
It almost seems to me like you should calculate the volumetric expansion.

That would seem to make sense. Didn't work though. What I did:

ΔV = 3L2(αLΔT)
ΔV = 3(S.A)2(αLΔT)
ΔV = -5.1555 e-4 * 2 for both rails
ΔV = 0.00010311 m.

That's not right either. I'm only going to get one more shot at this. I think I messed up in assuming that L^2 is equal to Surface Area. Should I try it at L^3?

Doc Al said:
Correct. So why double your answer?

Because I was only looking at one rail.
ΔL = αLΔT = (1.3*10^-5)(5.4m)(-68).
there are 2 rails sitting end at end. the equation is for one rail that is going to shrink by that amount. However, the temperature change is going to happen everywhere, I have to assume that the other rail is going to shrink by the same amount, causing double the distance between the two rails.

Patdon10 said:
how much space will there be between the rails at -17 °C?
Admittedly, the word "space" is ambiguous here. But I'd bet they just want the separation distance between the rails.

Doc Al said:
Admittedly, the word "space" is ambiguous here. But I'd bet they just want the separation distance between the rails.

I agree. But what are you saying? Should I change anything?

Patdon10 said:
Because I was only looking at one rail.
ΔL = αLΔT = (1.3*10^-5)(5.4m)(-68).
there are 2 rails sitting end at end. the equation is for one rail that is going to shrink by that amount. However, the temperature change is going to happen everywhere, I have to assume that the other rail is going to shrink by the same amount, causing double the distance between the two rails.
Draw yourself a diagram with two rails touching at the higher temp. Then draw a diagram with the rails contracted. Then figure out how the gap between the rails relates to your calculation.

i get something different.

What I thought was
if [tex]\Delta[/tex]L = [tex]\alpha[/tex]L*L*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T,

then [tex]\Delta[/tex]V = [tex]\alpha[/tex]V*V*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

I think we can approximate [tex]\alpha[/tex]V to be 3[tex]\alpha[/tex]L, and V = [tex]\sigma[/tex]*L where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the cross-section.

I found [tex]\Delta[/tex]V to be 8.59e-5.

(I haven't done this stuff in ages, though!)

Rick88 said:
i get something different.

What I thought was
if [tex]\Delta[/tex]L = [tex]\alpha[/tex]L*L*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T,

then [tex]\Delta[/tex]V = [tex]\alpha[/tex]V*V*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

I think we can approximate [tex]\alpha[/tex]V to be 3[tex]\alpha[/tex]L, and V = [tex]\sigma[/tex]*L where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the cross-section.

I found [tex]\Delta[/tex]V to be 8.59e-5.

(I haven't done this stuff in ages, though!)

nope. that's not it :(

will you know what the correct answer is?

No. but I'm going to email my teacher right now, ask for more submissions and a hint as to what it's looking for. I'll report back.

Patdon10 said:
No. but I'm going to email my teacher right now, ask for more submissions and a hint as to what it's looking for. I'll report back.
Did you draw the diagram I suggested? Do so and you'll likely find your error.

Doc Al said:
Did you draw the diagram I suggested? Do so and you'll likely find your error.

Are you saying I'm assuming that the shrinking occurs in one side, when it really occurs in both? So I shouldn't double it?

Patdon10 said:
Are you saying I'm assuming that the shrinking occurs in one side, when it really occurs in both?
The shrinking occurs throughout the entire rod. You found how much the entire rod shrinks. So how does that relate to the gap between the rods. Don't try to reason it out 'in your head'. Draw a diagram and you'll see for yourself whether you should have doubled that answer or not.

Hint: Assume the center of each rod doesn't move.

Yeah. So I shouldn't have doubled it. So linear expansion was the right way to go? Hopefully I'll get another submission and be able to see if it's the right answer. The surface area was just added to confuse me?

Patdon10 said:
Yeah. So I shouldn't have doubled it.
Right.
So linear expansion was the right way to go?
I'd say so.

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is a physical phenomenon where an object increases in length when heated and decreases in length when cooled.

2. How does linear expansion occur?

Linear expansion occurs due to the increase in kinetic energy of the particles within the object when heated. This causes the particles to vibrate more and take up more space, resulting in an increase in length.

3. What factors affect linear expansion?

The amount of linear expansion is affected by the type of material, its length, and the change in temperature. Different materials have different coefficients of linear expansion, meaning they expand at different rates. Longer objects will also experience more expansion compared to shorter objects under the same temperature change.

4. What is area expansion?

Area expansion is a similar concept to linear expansion, but it refers to the increase in the surface area of an object when heated and the decrease in surface area when cooled.

5. How is area expansion different from linear expansion?

Area expansion is different from linear expansion in that it takes into account both the length and width of an object, while linear expansion only considers the change in length. Area expansion also has a different coefficient of expansion compared to linear expansion.