ME degree with a minor in Physics?

In summary, a minor in physics may not greatly impact your career in mechanical engineering, but it may be beneficial for certain positions such as R&D or teaching. Ultimately, it depends on your personal interest and how you feel it will benefit your education.
BrentRS1985
New to the forums, happy to be here.

I am currently working on my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I was wondering if I would benefit from a minor in physics. Would it look better on a resume? Do companies that hire ME's really care? I love the subject and only need 9 more credit hours to get it. But that could potentially mean staying in school one extra semester. If it doesn't ultimately lead to me making more money, I don't think I need to spend money getting it.

Basically, I would love to go for it, but only if it will benefit my career in ME.

What does everyone think?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your mechanical engineering major will get the most attention in industry. Your minor, in physics or any other subject, will be less significant. The exception may be R&D positions, community college teaaching in physics, or graduate school.

So I would say if you enjoy the physics and you feel you will benifit from the courses, I would spend an extra semester.

1. What is a ME degree with a minor in Physics?

A ME degree with a minor in Physics is a combination of a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (ME) and a minor in Physics. This means that you will receive a comprehensive education in both mechanical engineering and physics, giving you a strong foundation in both fields.

2. What career opportunities are available with a ME degree and minor in Physics?

With this combination of degrees, you will have a wide range of career opportunities available to you. You could work in the fields of aerospace engineering, energy systems, robotics, materials science, or many others. You could also choose to pursue graduate studies in either engineering or physics.

3. How do the two subjects complement each other?

Mechanical engineering and physics are closely related fields, and a minor in physics can greatly enhance your understanding and skills in mechanical engineering. Physics principles are used in many areas of engineering, such as understanding the behavior and properties of materials, designing mechanical systems, and analyzing fluid flow.

4. Can I complete a ME degree with a minor in Physics in the same amount of time as a regular ME degree?

Yes, in most cases, a ME degree with a minor in Physics can be completed in the same amount of time as a regular ME degree. However, this may vary depending on the specific requirements of the institution and the courses you take. It is important to plan your schedule carefully to ensure you can complete both degrees within your desired timeframe.

5. What skills will I develop with a ME degree and minor in Physics?

This combination of degrees will give you a strong foundation in both engineering and physics principles. You will develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and technical communication. You will also gain practical skills in designing, building, and testing mechanical systems and understanding their behavior through the lens of physics.