Question about turbines, mechanical design

In summary, the speaker is working on a machine with a turbine in a water-filled container and needs to justify the design of the turbine and blades. They have consulted books on mixer designs but need more specific information on the relationship between power, angular speed, turbine characteristics, and fluid weight. They are seeking empirical information or a book that can provide further assistance.
nico_9188
Hi guys, I'm working on a machine which has a turbine which will spin through a container filled with water. I have to justify the design of the turbine and the blades surface. I looked up in some books referring to mixers designs such as (Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by Warren L. McCabe, Julian Smith, and Peter Harriott) and (Handbook of Industrial Mixing: Science and Practice), but I need more precise information. I would like to ask if you have any empirical information about turbines or a book which could help or anything related to this (i'm seeking for a relationship between power, angular speed, turbine characteristics, and specifical weight of the fluid).

Thanks in advance,

Nico

Engineering news on Phys.org
hmm...as I remember from my college days...for the blade profile...the velocity triangles will give u what u need in terms of angular speed and energy...

1. How do turbines work?

Turbines work by converting the energy from a moving fluid (such as water, steam, or gas) into mechanical energy. This is done by using blades or buckets attached to a rotor, which is connected to a shaft. As the fluid passes over the blades, it causes the rotor to spin and generate power.

2. What is the purpose of mechanical design in turbines?

Mechanical design is crucial in turbines as it determines the overall performance, efficiency, and reliability of the turbine. It involves designing the shape and size of the blades, selecting appropriate materials, and optimizing the rotor and shaft design to withstand high speeds and loads.

3. How are turbines designed to maximize efficiency?

Turbines are designed with aerodynamic principles in mind to maximize efficiency. This includes using airfoils (similar to airplane wings) for the blades, which are carefully designed to create lift and minimize drag. Additionally, the shape and size of the blades are optimized to improve energy conversion.

4. How are turbines maintained and repaired?

Turbines require regular maintenance to ensure they operate efficiently and safely. This often involves inspecting and replacing worn or damaged parts, such as blades and bearings. Repairs may also be necessary if there is a malfunction or breakdown in the turbine system, which can be caused by a variety of factors such as extreme weather or wear and tear.

5. How do turbines contribute to renewable energy production?

Turbines play a crucial role in renewable energy production, particularly in wind and hydroelectric power. By harnessing the power of wind and water, turbines can generate electricity without relying on fossil fuels. This helps to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change.