A simple model for piezo electric effect

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder with a simple piston and a trapped ideal gas, which is arranged as a capacitor with both mechanical and electrical work being done on the system. The fundamental equation of thermodynamics is used to establish the relevant thermodynamic potential and the equation of state for the system. The number of molecules in the gas is constant and the problem only considers reversible processes.
johnmadsen88
I'm told I have a cylinder with a simple piston and a trapped ideal gas. The area of the piston is A, and the position of the piston with respect to the bottom of the cylinder is denoted by [tex]l[/tex]. The cylinder itself is electrically isolating, while the bottom and the piston surface are connected to a battery which maintains the voltage [tex]\Phi[/tex]. Thus the arrangement is a capacitor, and we have both mechanical and electrical work on the system:

[tex]\delta W=fdl+\Phi dQ[/tex]​

With [tex]\delta[/tex] denoting an inexact differential, and [tex]f=P_{ex}A[/tex] (with [tex]P_{ex}[/tex] being the external pressure). Q is the charge of the piston surface. This problem will only concern reversible processes. The number of molecules, N, in the gas is constant. [tex]k_B=\frac{R}{N_A}[/tex] is the Boltzman constant.

I am asked to use the fundamental equation of thermodynamics to establish the relevant thermodynamic potential [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] for the system with control variables [tex](T,l,\Phi )[/tex] , and give the equations of state.

I am honestly rather confused about this problem. Further down the page, there is a specific potential given, which leads me to think that I'm looking for something on the form

[tex]\mathcal{A}(T,l,\Phi )=-\frac{\epsilon A}{2l}\Phi ^2-\mathcal{A}_0(T,V)[/tex]​

but I doubt that is specific enough. Any sort of guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental equation of thermodynamics states that the change in the internal energy of a system is equal to the difference between the total heat supplied to the system and the total work done by the system. This can be written as: dU=\delta Q-\delta W Using this equation, we can derive an expression for the relevant thermodynamic potential as: \mathcal{A}(T,l,\Phi )=U(T,V)-\int f dl-\int \Phi dQ The equation of state for this system is then given by: P_{ex}=\frac{\partial \mathcal{A}}{\partial V}=\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}-f-\Phi \frac{\partial Q}{\partial V} The specific form of this equation will depend on the form of the internal energy of the system.

1. How does a piezoelectric material work?

A piezoelectric material works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. When the material is subjected to stress or pressure, it produces an electric charge across its surface. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect.

2. What are some examples of piezoelectric materials?

Some common examples of piezoelectric materials include quartz, ceramics, and certain types of crystals. These materials are used in various applications such as sensors, transducers, and actuators.

3. How is a simple model for piezoelectric effect constructed?

A simple model for piezoelectric effect is constructed by using the concept of dipole moments. The material is modeled as an array of tiny dipole moments, which become aligned when the material is subjected to stress. This alignment results in the production of an electric charge.

4. What are the applications of the piezoelectric effect?

The piezoelectric effect has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is used in sensors and transducers for measuring pressure, force, and vibration. It is also used in actuators for precise positioning and control. Other applications include energy harvesting, ultrasound imaging, and piezoelectric motors.

5. Can the piezoelectric effect be reversed?

Yes, the piezoelectric effect can be reversed. This phenomenon is known as the inverse piezoelectric effect. When an electric field is applied to a piezoelectric material, it causes a change in its shape or size. This property is utilized in devices such as piezoelectric speakers and microphones.