Prime & Maximal Ideals of $\mathbb Z_7$ & $\mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5$

• Thread starter DanielThrice
  • Start date
In summary, the question was to find the prime and maximal ideals of \mathbb Z_7 and \mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5. The answer is that for \mathbb Z_7, there are no prime or maximal ideals, while for \mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5, the prime and maximal ideals are <(1,0)> and <(0,1)>. These ideals are also the only prime and maximal ideals for any two fields F and K in the ring F\times K.
DanielThrice
I'm working on prime an maximal ideals. My partner and I are studying for our final exam and got conflicting answers.

The question was to find all of the prime and maximal ideals of [tex]\mathbb Z_7[/tex]. My answer was that because a finite integral domain is a field, the prime and maximal ideals coincide, but that there are no prime and maximal ideals for [tex]\mathbb Z_7[/tex].

As for [tex]\mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5[/tex], what are the prime and maximal ideals, and more importantly, how in the world do we know that we have found them all?

Physics news on Phys.org
DanielThrice said:
I'm working on prime an maximal ideals. My partner and I are studying for our final exam and got conflicting answers.

The question was to find all of the prime and maximal ideals of [tex]\mathbb Z_7[/tex]. My answer was that because a finite integral domain is a field, the prime and maximal ideals coincide, but that there are no prime and maximal ideals for [tex]\mathbb Z_7[/tex].

This is not correct. A (nontrivial) ring ALWAYS has maximal ideals. In this case, {0} is the unique maximal ideal, and it is also prime.

As for [tex]\mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5[/tex], what are the prime and maximal ideals, and more importantly, how in the world do we know that we have found them all?

There may be others who answer in this thread with sexier solutions, but I would solve this by some kind of brute force:

Every element in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_3\times \mathbb{Z}_5[/tex] generates a principal ideal:
- (0,0) generates the zero ideal
- (1,0) generates the same ideal as (2,0)
- (0,1) generates the same ideal as (0,2), (0,3) and (0,4)
- all the other elements are invertible and generate the entire ring.

So we can look at three principal ideals: <(0,0)>, <(1,0)> and <(0,1)>. A quick inspection shows that <(0,0)> is not prime, but that <(1,0)> and <(0,1)> are. Furthermore, we are lucky because these two last ideals are maximal.

This is of course easily generalized: for two field F and K, the ideal [tex]\{0\}\times K[/tex] and [tex]F\times \{0\}[/tex] are the only prime/maximal ideals of [tex]F\times K[/tex].

1. What is a prime ideal in $\mathbb Z_7$?

A prime ideal in $\mathbb Z_7$ is a subset of the ring $\mathbb Z_7$ that is closed under addition and multiplication, and has the property that if $ab$ is in the ideal, then either $a$ or $b$ (or both) must be in the ideal. In other words, it is an ideal that is also a prime number.

2. How many prime ideals are there in $\mathbb Z_7$?

There are 6 prime ideals in $\mathbb Z_7$, namely the ideals generated by the elements 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. This is because in a finite ring, every non-zero element generates a prime ideal.

3. What is a maximal ideal in $\mathbb Z_7$?

A maximal ideal in $\mathbb Z_7$ is a proper subset of the ring $\mathbb Z_7$ that is maximal with respect to inclusion. In other words, there are no other ideals properly containing it. In $\mathbb Z_7$, the only maximal ideal is the ideal generated by the element 7, which is the entire ring.

4. How many maximal ideals are there in $\mathbb Z_7$?

There is only one maximal ideal in $\mathbb Z_7$, which is the ideal generated by the element 7. This is because $\mathbb Z_7$ is a finite ring and every proper ideal is contained in a maximal ideal.

5. What are the prime and maximal ideals in $\mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5$?

In $\mathbb Z_3 \times \mathbb Z_5$, the prime ideals are the ideals generated by the elements (2,0), (0,2), (2,3), and (3,2). The maximal ideal is the ideal generated by the element (0,0), which is the entire ring.