Series Connected D.C Motor Characteristics

In summary, the torque-speed relationship in a series connected D.C motor is mostly linear, but with some nonlinear artifacts due to the series connection of the armature and field windings. The motor has high starting torque but poor speed regulation as armature current is increased. This would also apply to a permanent magnet type D.C motor as the magnets serve a similar function as the windings.
1988ajk
Hi all,

Please excuse me for such a simple question, I am a predominantly a mechanical engineer.

Does a series connected D.C Motor have a linear speed/torque relationship or a curve?

I am aware that both have speed (RPM) decreasing as torque (Nm) increases.

Many thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many thanks,

the last post has cleared up some ambiguous notes I have.

Since your series field is in series with your armature, and has a very low resistance, about .4 ohms... it saturates very quickly providing maximum flux on relatively low provided current. For that reason, the motor has Amazing starting torque, but since the winding is saturated early it produces less and less torque as armature current is applied form no load to full load.

In summary, the motor has excellent torque on starting, but has poor speed regulation from no load to full load (as armature current is applied)

say if the d.c motor were a permanent magnet type, would this have the same characteristics?

I presume that they would stay the same, as the magnets do the same 'job' as windings.

1. What is a series connected D.C motor?

A series connected D.C motor is a type of electric motor in which the armature and field windings are connected in series, meaning the current flows through both windings in the same direction. This results in a high starting torque and low speed, making it suitable for applications such as electric vehicles and elevators.

2. How does a series connected D.C motor work?

In a series connected D.C motor, the current flows through the armature and field windings, creating a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor. The interaction between the magnetic fields causes the armature to rotate, producing mechanical energy.

3. What are the characteristics of a series connected D.C motor?

The main characteristics of a series connected D.C motor include high starting torque, low speed, and the ability to handle high loads. It also has a simple design, low cost, and good speed regulation. However, it may have poor efficiency and can be difficult to control.

4. What are the advantages of using a series connected D.C motor?

Some advantages of using a series connected D.C motor include its ability to produce high starting torque, making it suitable for heavy load applications. It also has a simple design and low cost, making it a cost-effective option for many industries. Additionally, it can be operated on both A.C and D.C power sources.

5. What are the applications of a series connected D.C motor?

The series connected D.C motor is commonly used in applications that require high starting torque, such as electric vehicles, elevators, and cranes. It is also used in industrial machinery, household appliances, and power tools. Additionally, it is used in traction systems for trains and trams.