Calculating DAC Decimal Resolution with R-2R Ladder and 1 Volt Input

• Thread starter foobag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resolution
In summary, the conversation was about digital to analog converters. The R-2R ladder type DAC with 7 "wrungs" has a total of 128 bits. To represent an equivalent decimal resolution, the smallest decimal equivalent will be 1/128. With a full scale of 1 volt, the resolution is ±0.004 volts. The input to an A to D converter with 128 possible output levels from an input of up to 1 volt will have steps of 0.00781 volts. Therefore, a resolution of 0.008 volts would be an acceptable answer.
foobag
I have a question about digital to analog converters.

Lets say I am given a R-2R ladder type DAC with 7 "wrungs".

This implies that I have 2^7 = 128 bits.

Now if I want to represent an equivalent decimal resolution of that DAC, how do I go about doing that?

Let's say the input voltage is 1 volt.

Regardless does this mean my smallest decimal equivalent resolution will be:

1/128?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have 7 bits (binary) with 1 part in 128 (± ½ LSB (least significant bit)) resolution.
So with 1 volt full scale, the resolution is ±0.004 volts.

Bob S

i am a bit confused how you arrived at +/- 0.004 volts.

I understand 1 part in 128 resolution, but converting that scale back to 1 volt full scale I am getting: +/- 0.0078 volts.

You are now talking about the input to an A to D converter which has 128 possible output levels from an input of up to 1 volt.

Output level 0 will be produced from an input of between 0 and 0.00781 volts.
Output level 1 will be produced from an input of between 0.00781 volts and 0.0156 volts.
and so on, with all steps being 0.00781 volts wide.

You could say this was 0.0039 volts +/- 0.0039 volts for level 0 out
or 0.0117 volts +/- 0.0039 volts for level 1 out...
and so on.

This is the same as Bob said.

ok so a resolution of 0.008 volts would still be an acceptable answer?

Yes.

1. How does an R-2R ladder work in calculating DAC decimal resolution?

The R-2R ladder is a type of digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that uses a combination of resistors to convert a digital input into an analog output. The ladder essentially acts as a voltage divider, with each resistor representing a binary bit. As the digital input changes, the corresponding resistors are switched on or off, allowing for a range of different output voltages. This process is what allows for the calculation of DAC decimal resolution.

2. What is the significance of using a 1 volt input in DAC decimal resolution calculations?

The 1 volt input is typically used as a reference voltage in DAC decimal resolution calculations. This is because it is a convenient and commonly used value, and it allows for easy comparison and conversion between different DACs. The 1 volt input also ensures that the output voltage range stays within a reasonable and usable range for most applications.

3. How is DAC decimal resolution calculated with an R-2R ladder and 1 volt input?

DAC decimal resolution is calculated by dividing the full-scale output voltage range (which is typically 1 volt) by the number of possible output levels. In the case of an R-2R ladder, the number of output levels is equal to 2 raised to the power of the number of bits in the digital input. For example, a 10-bit digital input would have 2^10 (or 1024) possible output levels, resulting in a decimal resolution of 1 volt/1024 = 0.0009765625 volts.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of DAC decimal resolution calculations?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of DAC decimal resolution calculations, including variations in resistor values, non-ideal behavior of the ladder's switches, and noise in the system. These factors can introduce errors in the output voltage and impact the overall resolution. Careful component selection and design considerations can help minimize these effects.

5. How does DAC decimal resolution impact the performance of a digital-to-analog converter?

DAC decimal resolution is an important factor in determining the accuracy and precision of a digital-to-analog converter. A higher resolution means a greater number of output levels and therefore a more precise and accurate analog output. This is especially important in applications where small changes in voltage can have a significant impact, such as in audio and video equipment or sensor readings.